Would you tell people about your disability? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Would you tell people about your disability?

Options
Stickman
Stickman Community member Posts: 112 Pioneering
I've been thinking about this for a while.  What made me ask the question is that the way some people act around me.  Is it that sometimes people may misunderstand about disability?  Would you be comfortable with telling someone about your disability? 

I think it would be good to do so, but what do you think?

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,744 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes definitely 
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,412 Scope online community team
    edited December 2023
    Options
    I think it depends on the circumstances for me. I have what would be considered to be invisible disabilities, and have encountered some upsetting attitudes in the past which make me a bit wary of mentioning it in certain situations. But that doesn't mean telling people isn't a good thing sometimes!

It's true that some people don't understand or can misinterpret what having a disability means. That can lead to them unintentionally saying hurtful things or acting in a way that makes me feel uncomfortable, so I often feel the need to protect myself from that if I don't have the energy to correct them.

On the other hand, many people are lovely and make a real effort to understand. If you do tell people, it can help them anticipate your needs as well as how best to communicate or interact with you.

I think there are pros and cons to sharing, but often it is better to let people know. You can always choose how much or how little detail you want to give too :)
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Stickman
    Options
    Hi Rosie

I have an invisible disability plus a learning disability, and that's exactly why I asked the question
  • Rosie_Scope
    Options
    It's a good question @stickman, always interesting to hear what people think on these kinds of things!
    Rosie (she/her)

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Stickman
    Options
    Yeah, I've never felt comfortable with it, it's as if I'm hiding a terrible secret and it gets me really upset.  I hate people avoiding me because of it, I hate people jumping to conclusions, I hate people giving me a wide berth - that really hurts and I end up feeling isolated and lonely.
  • Ada
    Ada Scope Member Posts: 15,029 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I was dragged up ( left at 13 I lived on the streets for many years) to believe not to show any emotion. I certainly never knew what empathy was. And later when I did see my family and told them about the Asperger they then would say to each other( big family) I was mental. I have had zero contact with them for over 40 years but it taught me the hard lesson of never telling folk I have mental illnesses. 
    I can’t avoid folk seeing my physical illnesses.
    But I always put on a act. Although We my prt n I live a solitude life I never show my suffering to anyone Not even my Doctor or hospital consultants etc.
    Scope is my only outlet  
  • Rosie_Scope
    Options
    That sounds really difficult @Stickman. I find it hard when people jump to conclusions about me too. As you say, it can be really isolating and lonely. 

I can understand why you stay quiet @Ada when you've had so many horrible experiences and negative reactions in the past. I'm really glad our community can be there for you <3
    Rosie (she/her)

• Stickman
    Options
    I've sort of made up my mind to tell people now, whatever the circumstances.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.