UC and child disability — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC and child disability

Options
val2029
val2029 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, 

I am currently claiming UC with a 3 year old kid who require extra care which I have submitted a claim for child disability payment and carers but still waiting on the application being progressed. 

Now that my youngest is over 3 I have submitted sick notes in the last 2 months and have been told I am considered fit to work after having the work capability assesment done even though my doctor has signed me off because of stress caused by UC and forcing me to look for work when I physically can't due to health and my child needing to be looked after, they are simply simply saying to put them into nursery and have even gone to apply on my behalf! 

What can be done regarding being found fit to work after only 2 months of sick notes and the care of my kids while awaiting the awards and to be there carer. I feel like they are targeting me and forcing me to get back to work especially with 60 mile round trips to job centre weekly and phone appointments being made with only few hours notice. 

This is becoming too stressful to deal with

Thank you, this is the last chance for me to figure this out as I'm now struggling to deal with this

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,395 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You can't claim carers allowance or carers element of UC unless your child is claiming either mid/high rate care ADP.

For the work capability assessment they won't take into consideration the care you give to your child. It's about your health conditions and your ability to do any type of work so please bear that in mind. You can challenge the decision by first requesting the Mandatory Reconsideration. (MR) You can do this on your journal. You need to take a look at the descriptors to see if you think any of them apply to you. You can see both groups here.
    Once you've taken a look for the MR you need to state which group you think you should be placed into and your reasons why.

Your claimant commiments with a child over the age of 3 years will mean you'll be expected to look for work for about 30 hours per week. If you're a single parent then your work coach she also take that into consideration.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.