If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Communications between UC & PIP

Options
Soapkate
Soapkate Community member Posts: 18 Connected
Hi..... I would love to get the opinions of experienced users of the benefits system about this.

I have a client who has UC with LCWRA and PIP at enhanced rates for both components.   

They recently accepted a job offer, to work 18 hours per week.  

I know that they have to report this change of circumstances to UC, but for PIP, as I understand it, technically speaking they don't,  they only have to report a significant change in their health condition.  

If their UC is reassessed and they are found fit for work,  is there a possibility that PIP could become aware of this? e.g. would UC flag this up to PIP?

I am just not sure how much communication is there between these two DWP depts.

Any feedback appreciated!

Tagged:

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 5,706 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Soapkate apologies that noone has been able to answer your queries, it was a very busy time and sometimes posts get pushed down the listing quickly.  So hopefully by me posting, it'll get you back to the top of the page. ;)

How have you and your client been getting on with things?  It seems the different DWP departments have little to no communication with each other when it comes to information on file. But people are able to work fulltime whilst claiming PIP, so there's not a worry there. 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • JonnycJonny
    JonnycJonny Scope Member Posts: 144 Pioneering
    Options
    PIP is a non means tested benefit and has nothing to do with UC. There may be some overlap in terms of descriptors between PIP and the Work Capability Assessment but they are entirely different benefits.

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 12,124 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Your client can work and claim PIP  as long as the job does contradict the reasons for claiming PIP

2024 Election won

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,180 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 27
    Options
    woodbine said:
    as long as the job does contradict the reasons for claiming PIP
    Typo that should read "doesn't" and not does.  ;)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 1,287 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

It is all DWP 

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,180 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    WhatThe said:

It is all DWP 

That doesn't mean they communicate with each other. UC very rarely communicates with other departments. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • noman
    noman Community member Posts: 777 Pioneering
    Options
    I won't go into it fully but I recently asked a question on my UC journal about rent/bedroom tax and they knew that I was claiming pip as it was mentioned in their answer.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.