Sciatica, do you have anything that helps? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Sciatica, do you have anything that helps?

Options
Bluematt07
Bluematt07 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Sciatica ,I’ve had it for 5 plus years now and it getting worse, just wondering if anyone has had any form of medication that helps ? Or treatment . I’m still working and on my feet 9 hours a day . I crippled by the end of my shif and even sitting isn’t making a difference now . Physio is a joke , not sure if it’s just my physio or all but he doesn’t even examine me at all just fills out paperwork , also doctors keep giving me different painkillers but none seem to make a difference so far . Thanks in advance

Comments

• Beggy321
    Beggy321 Community member Posts: 16 Listener
    Options
    most gp will do is painkillers maybe injections send to physio then they can send you for mri or ct scan if nerve or vertebrea damage they may op 
  • Bluematt07
    Options
    Yeah been for mri , got offered the operation even ever I wanted it so decided to try painkillers first stupidly then when I asked for the op they sent me for another mri and decided it’s not bad enough for a operation after all , not sure how bad it’s go to get as the pain is constant and excruciating. Then you read things online and it confuses you even more or worse still depresses you. According to the physio he doesn’t get back pain cause he learnt about it, shame he can’t pass on his knowledege so none of us suffer
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,112 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Hi @Bluematt07 - I'm sorry to read you've been so troubled with sciatica. Also, as a long retired physio, very sorry to read about yours. It's rather glib to say I don't get back pain as I've learnt about it, as altho we understand about back pain, & how to normally avoid it, if you get a disorder that involves back pain, then this isn't always possible. I speak as someone who has suffered lower back pain since I was a teenager, so my knowledge helps, but doesn't alleviate my daily chronic pain; rather I feel, I've learnt to manage it (a genetic disorder causing hypermobile joints, which is obviously never going to go away). I do exercise (very gently) every day, & am aware about my posture (most of the time). As you can see I've been on both sides of the fence, & now do the exercises I used to teach!
    I'm hoping to pass on a couple of things that may help. The first is a video done by a physio, which I feel both correct & informative. If you try this, please just do a little & often, building up very gradually (so long as it doesn't increase your pain, as that's a vicious cycle). The second is a link to coping with chronic pain, which is worth a look through....I particularly find diaphragmatic breathing (the deep breathing exercise) helpful. It not only reduces pain, but also stress, which can of course increase your pain levels. There are many things to try, & it's been found that often a combination of things help; you've just got to find what these are!
    Hope some of this helps.
    Edit: sorry I forgot to add you can ask your workplace to make 'reasonable adjustments' due to your disability. This could be something as simple as frequent breaks, or even, if they have the capability, a room in which you can comfortably lie down for a while. Please see Scope's link about this: https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/work-careers/reasonable-adjustments/

• Bluematt07
    Options
    Thank you chiarieds I will defo take a look at both of those , mine is to do with narrowing of the canals around the nerve , I think they call it stenosis , but not too sure . I was seeing a sports therapist to begin with and she was brilliant but sadly the pain just kept coming back and I just couldn’t afford to keep going every couple of weeks . I hope I can find something that helps and I hope you do too 
  • chiarieds
    Options
    Hi @Bluematt07 - you're correct, the term is spinal stenosis, or narrowing of the space in your spinal canal, which can then cause pressure on the sciatic nerve. My best wishes, & thank you for yours, & hope something of the above helps you.
  • Beggy321
    Beggy321 Community member Posts: 16 Listener
    Options
    @chiarieds i could use some tips struggling if ya read my first post on the 17th dec all will be clear
    pls thanks
  • chiarieds
    Options
    Hi @Beggy321 - I've looked through your comments, but your situation seems complicated such that I couldn't safely say much with any confidence on an internet forum. I'd suggest asking for a referral for physiotherapy so they could properly assess you & see if bracing is a practical solution for you. It has it's place depending on your disorder, but it seems like you've struggled with this & your current ones are inadequate. You can also self refer yourself for physiotherapy, but this may not be available in all areas: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/physiotherapy/accessing/

• WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 740 Pioneering
    Options
    Not so sure if it's appropriate but when I was suffering my physio' used acupuncture.  Wasn't pleasant for 2 days after but had relief for the rest of the days in between sessions until it eased totally

... must be said her googling where to place the needles wasn't confidence inspiring ... 
  • chiarieds
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Great it helped @WelshBlue - but there's not much evidence that it's effective in most suffering from sciatica. I remember when another physio gave me acupuncture for a Baker's Cyst at the back of my knee, & I was saying can you please go slightly to one side & miss a rather important nerve that runs through that region!
  • Bluematt07
    Options
    Thanks welsh blue , anything is worth a try , I did consider it at one point but decided to try a different therapy instead which didn’t work at all . So might revisit that idea . The guy I was going to use has been around for years and seems very confident so hopefully he won’t need Google or hit any major nerves 😩😩

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.