LCWRA awarded — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LCWRA awarded

Options
Azukker
Azukker Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited January 26 in Universal Credit (UC)
Just want to thank people for all their posts on here, I lurk/read a lot and things people have asked & answered helped a lot.

I applied for UC back in August, put the UC50 form in within the first week (along with 3-month fit notes, which felt weird - a fit note for being unable to work, even though I do work for myself, felt very wrong).

Had my assessment (phone assessment) for LCWRA on Thursday 14th December, and got a message in journal saying I'd been granted it Tuesday 19th December, just five days later.  

I focused purely on my disability and the real impacts it has - I didn't try to "score points" - I was very clear that I have no difficulties with dealing with people, problem solving, no anxieties, etc. - I just focused purely on my inability to stand, walk, or even sit, and the phone assessor seemed very kind and understanding.

I did ask for the assessment to be recorded beforehand (though I haven't got this yet) just as a precaution, and I've also asked for a full copy of the assessment report - honestly just for sheer curiosity.

And I do work - albeit from my bed, as I am bedbound - I was honest about my work and the hours I work (25 hours a week roughly, but I was clear that some weeks it could be 35-40 if I have a lot to do and can focus, others might be 10) - I work with and on a computer, from my bed.

I thought I'd mention some of these things as I've seen others worried about some of this stuff - yes you can work & be on LCWRA (obviously depends on the nature of your work and reasons for being on LCWRA!)... you aren't going to be "punished" for asking for a recording or asking for a full report... stick to what's actually wrong with you and how it would affect things that matter in regards to LCWRA, focus on the questions and answer them fully and frankly. But having LCWRA descriptors in the back of your head, I found very helpful;
https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/universal-credit-uc/uc-faq/limited-capability-for-work-related-activity

And finally... a really nice bonus to remove a lot of stresses over Christmas and New Year, is there is a chunk of backpay due because of the more lenient allowances of earnings before UC reductions with LCWRA.  So, thanks all, and good luck to all who have these things to go through in the future.

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,386 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hey there @Azukker, apologies for the delay in replying, it was a very busy time of the year!

I'm so glad you got your award so quickly, that's amazing news. And thank you so much for sharing your story and tips, I hope it'll help others with their claims. :)
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.