UC Application — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC Application

szofar Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited December 2023 in Universal Credit (UC)
Me and my wife are migrating to Universal Credit fromTax Credits.

On tax credits i was self employed working from home signing documents making less than £100 a week. I recieve pip and my wife is my carer recieving carers allowance.
Due to my mental health issues and pysical limited mobility iv decided to stop working. Im 56 worked all my life but due to.my health cannot go any further.
My question is because i recieve PIP will i still need an assessment for UC LCWA( i think thats wats it called)??

What would be the outcome of my wife who recieves Carers Allowance?


  • Autism_at_40
    Autism_at_40 Community member Posts: 724 Pioneering
    I get PIP and have gone through the LCWRA assessment - they are separate assessments and according to Citizen's Advice, they're not allowed to use PIP for LCWRA.  I've just been through the LCW, Mandatory reconsideration and then tribunal and failed.  Now got to start the process all over again...

    I'm not sure about carer's allowance though.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,146 Disability Gamechanger
    For working age people like yourself, PIP doesn't automatically entitle you to LCWRA. You will need to report your health condition and provide a fit note within 7 days of that. You must continue to provide fit notes until a decision is made on your claim.

    Usually from day 29 (can be later) of your claim they will refer you for a work capability assessment. Once this is done you'll receive a letter on your journal telling you that you will be referred. A few days later you will receive the UC50 form in the post. You must make sure this is filled in and returned with all your additional supporting evidence.

    As you're no longer working then what is expected of you will depend on your claimant commiments. You'll be classed as a job seeker until a decision on your WCA says otherwise. It's a work coaches discretion whether they reduce or turn off work commiments, some don't and others will. If you're unable to attend your local Job centre then you can ask for telephone appointments as a reasonable adjustment.

    As your wife is your carer she will have no work requirements. I note she's claiming carers allowance but this is deducted in full from any UC entitlement. Please make sure she's reported being your carer and then they will include the carers element as part of your maximum UC entitlement.

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.