Advise needed for claiming housing help - currently in receipt of ESA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advise needed for claiming housing help - currently in receipt of ESA

Options
AndyS
AndyS Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi, I am in the process of helping a friend. He is 31 years old and is hard of hearing/deaf.

He gets ESA with disability income guarantee and limited capability to work (Support group). Total of roughly £140 per week.

He also gets PIP both mobility and care elements.

He has found a flat to rent but needs to claim housing benefit. From what I have read this will not be possible, he can not get ESA + Housing Benefit. I am confused as I think he now needs to claim Universal Credit.

How do I go about helping him with this? Do I contact ESA and tell them he needs to claim housing or do I help him claim a fresh Universal Credit application?

He recently had to go through medical assessment , will this need to be repeated again or will DWP just keep in support group?

Previously I helped him complete paper application and send this on his behalf as he can not deal with this but I think the new system is all online?

Sorry, there are a lot of questions here but I am lost and any advise or guidance will be superb.

Thank you 
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,380 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Unless he will be living in either supported or temporary housing then he will not be able to start a new claim for housing benefit. He will need to claim Universal Credit for help with any rent.

If any part of his ESA is Income Related then this will continue for 2 weeks and then stop. If any part of it is contributions based this will continue but be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.

As he's in the Support Group he will be entitled to the LCWRA element from the start of his UC claim. If he'll be living alone and privately renting then he'll be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate of local housing allowance. You can check the amount for that here for the area he will be living. https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/ (this is assuming he's either 35 and over or under 35 and his PIP includes the daily living part) You will need to convert that weekly amount to monthly by x52 then divide by 12.

Is he currently living alone or with other adults?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Kimmy87
    Kimmy87 Community member Posts: 316 Pioneering
    edited December 2023
    Options
    He will need to apply online for Universal Credit. 

After the claim has been opened, add a note to Journal stating he gets ESA SG. 

It takes a few weeks for ESA to talk to UC, in which time he will probably have had an appointment at a Job Center to confirm his identity and see a Work Coach. It can be a good idea to take along ESA paperwork to this appointment. 

Once ESA have talked to UC what happens is:

The IR part of his ESA stops (with a 2 week run on)
    Any CB ESA converts to New Style ESA and is deducted in full from UC award

His ESA status transfers to UC and he won't require another assessment just due to claiming.
    In future like most he will be re assessed anyway. 

UC will be paid 5 weeks after claiming, he can get an advance which has to be paid back.

Citizens Advice do offer help with making the UC application
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/universal-credit/claiming/helptoclaim/ 
  • AndyS
    Options
    @poppy123456 - Thank you.

Currently he lives rent free with family.

Having looked at his last notification, it says "Payment of ESA is based on your NI contribution records and any additional amount the law says you need to live on." and then it goes on with a calculation, concluding with "Which gives you a total income-related amount"

I believe this means it is income based but partially contribution based too? 
  • AndyS
    Options
    @Kimmy87

Thank you for your guidance.

What will a work coach do at the interview, given that he is in support group? 

I read somewhere they make you sign up for work commitments before approving your application and then sanction you if you don't keep to them.

Is this correct or am I reading this wrong?

Thank you 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    That doesn’t mean it’s definitely part contributions based. ESA letters are well
    known not to make any sense at all. 

AndyS said: 

I read somewhere they make you sign up for work commitments before approving your application and then sanction you if you don't keep to them.

Not always but it can sometimes take a few weeks for ESA to send the details to UC. He needs to do as kimmy advised and put a message onto his journal to tell them he’s in the Support Group for ESA. 

When he moves into his own home he can make a claim for SDP in with his ESA if no one is claiming either carers allowance or carers element of UC for looking after him. Once this is in payment he can claim UC and then he will be entitled to the SDP transitional protection in with his UC. However, doing this would mean there would be a delay in him claiming UC. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Kimmy87
    Options
    Unfortunately the ESA letters are notoriously difficult to understand, his payment may be 100% income based, or CB based with an IR top up (the disability income guarantee part).

Did your friend either:
    Transfer to ESA from the old Incapacity Benefit
    Or
    Work for at least two years before claiming ESA? 

I transferred last year from ESA to UC and my work coach didn't know much, started talking about health assessments and fit notes, I stated that I was entitled to LCWRA (ESA SG equivalent) from the start. She consulted a more experienced colleague who confirmed what I had said.

She then switched off everything she could on  the system, but had to book me another appointment in a weeks time. That appointment was then cancelled as my ESA status had gone through to them.
  • Kimmy87
    Options
    Unfortunately the ESA letters are notoriously difficult to understand, his payment may be 100% income based, or CB based with an IR top up (the disability income guarantee part).

Did your friend either:
    Transfer to ESA from the old Incapacity Benefit
    Or
    Work for at least two years before claiming ESA? 

I transferred last year from ESA to UC and my work coach didn't know much, started talking about health assessments and fit notes, I stated that I was entitled to LCWRA (ESA SG equivalent) from the start. She consulted a more experienced colleague who confirmed what I had said.

She then switched off everything she could on  the system, but had to book me another appointment in a weeks time. That appointment was then cancelled as my ESA status had gone through to them.
  • AndyS
    Options
    Thank you both for above.

I have checked, his parents get career allowance for him. They will continue to provide care for him so I assume the will get this allowance so will he need to claim SDP? 

ie - claim SDP with ESA then apply for UC? ? (if this is applicable?).

• poppy123456
    Options
    As someone claims carers allowance for looking after him then he will not be entitled to SDP. 

Please make sure he checks the LHA rates (if privately renting) before signing any tenancy agreement because if there's a shortfall of rent then he will need to pay that himself.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.