DLA for Child living in EEA country — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLA for Child living in EEA country

jackblack Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited January 26 in PIP, DLA, and AA


I might have a not-so-simple question. I am the legal guardian for a child who has been diagnosed with autism. He is now 13 years old and lives with foster care parents in an EEA country.

Supporting documents I have:

  • I am the legal guardian of that child
  • I live and work in the UK
  • Official foster care appointment by an EEA country
  • EEA Court decision that he has to stay living in that EEA country

Since I am the legal guardian of that child, am I allowed to claim DLA (Disability Living Allowance) on his behalf in the UK?


  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 10,599 Scope online community team
    Good afternoon @jackblack and a warm welcome to the community.

    I’m not actually certain of the answer so I’ve tagged your post as unanswered for now so we can come back to you. 
    Community Manager
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 52,180 Disability Gamechanger
    Looking at the eligibilty criteria i'm going to say no, you will not be able to claim it. https://www.gov.uk/disability-living-allowance-children/eligibility


    Usually, to qualify for Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children the child must:

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • surfygoose
    surfygoose Community member Posts: 423 Pioneering
    Is there a similar benefit that could be applied for to help him in the country that he lives in? I would have thought that would be the way to go, to apply for whatever support is available in his country where he lives in foster care. Sorry I don’t know if where he is living has good help for the disabled or not.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.