Carer allowance help — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carer allowance help

Options
Honeypot12
Honeypot12 Community member Posts: 14 Connected
Good evening, I was wondering of someone could advise me please, I'm on pip, and my child is on dla, I've been told I can claim careres allowance for her, I don't work, but my husband does, so I don't think I would be able to claim it, I'm on no other benifits, only pip, and her main carer, any advice would be appreciated thanks

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,696 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I would say yes you should be able to claim it

My Dad works but my Mum doesn't...Mum gets carer's allowance for me
  • Honeypot12
    Options
    Thankyou for your reply, I thought you may need to be on other benefits, uc or something, we do not claim any other benefits, on the claim form they want to no my husbands national insurance, that's why I thought I would not be entitled if he was bringing a wage home, even though I'm her main carer, sorry these benefits are all abit confusing for me
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,392 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As you're not working and you don't claim any other benefits then yes you can claim carers allowance providing your daughters DLA includes either mid or high rate care.

I don't know why they ask for your partners NI number because you will be the claimant, not him. His earnings will not affect your claim because it's not means tested in that way. https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/how-to-claim

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,108 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Your child would have to be receiving the middle or highest rate for the care component of DLA in order for you to claim Carer's allowance, & you'd need to provide at least 35 hours of care each week. As 66Mustang says as you don't work, then that in itself doesn't prevent you for claiming. If your child has recently been awarded middle/highest rate for care, then you can ask for your claim to be backdated (it can be for up to 3 months).
  • Honeypot12
    Options
    Thankyou everyone, yes she's high care low mobility, awarded the start of October, I agree with poppy though, why would they want my husbands national insurance number for, I suppose they have to check everything is correct, thankyou

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.