Online community: 2024 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Online community: 2024

Options
Adrian_Scope
Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,065 Scope online community team
edited December 2023 in Coffee lounge

As we look ahead to the New Year, we're keen to hear your thoughts on how we can continue to improve the online community.

What topics, discussions, or features would you like to see more of on the forum? 

What do you enjoy most about the community that you would like to see more of?

Is there anything you'd like to see less of?

Community Manager
Scope

Comments

• durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,658 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I love the games and I love the new games room
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,125 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have really enjoyed features where people have talked about their health condition/disability, as I think it helps gives a greater understanding of what others go through.
    I'm not a fan of political discussions, unless they definitely relate to disability, as I feel they can cause tension/discord. For that reason they're topics I prefer not to engage with. Also sometimes so much misinformation creeps in, even when they do relate to disability, which then unecessarily worries some members.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I love learning more about different conditions and hearing different experiences too so would love to see more of that like @chiarieds

But I do disagree about politics. I find it really interesting to read the different view points and understand where others are coming from but I guess they do tend to turn a bit tense.

I'd love to see more like current events and general discussions too. I think the coffee lounge can be quite quiet now without the games. I'd like to hear people's views and opinions on lots of things. I love when people share their knowledge and experience <3
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,812 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @chiarieds @Biblioklept

I had typed my answer to this a week ago and was going to say the same thing as Chiarieds r.e. political topics. I thought they should be not allowed.

However - I think - I don't mind the actual subject, what I dislike about those topics is the nastiness that often comes with them.

I think it would be nice to be able to talk about sensitive things, like politics, if people were capable of acting like grown ups and directing arguments at the points of view they disagree with and not the member holding that point of view.

I was thinking perhaps if the admins could bring in some sort of system whereby any comment that directs an attack against a person, rather than their point of view, is immediately removed?

I often bring up controversial or sensitive topics, sometimes without really giving my own view, because I like to get a discussion going and find I learn a lot. I'd say I get about an 80% failure rate whereby members start attacking each other but I won't give up and will keep trying as it's worth it for the 20% of positive, constructive discussion.

Of course if my idea is not viable I am happy to stop bringing up sensitive topics. I do however think it is worth broadening the forum away from just smalltalk and "how are you?" etc.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,439 Scope online community team
    Options
    I've been enjoying learning about everyone and the various conditions.  I'm a sucker for learning new things. I think it's great that we can all share and grow together. <3 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,125 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    66Mustang has hit the nail on the head about disagreeing with someone's point of view rather than directing comments against the actual person. Such personal attacks or personal abuse can be reported, & I agree that these comments should be quickly removed/edited.
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    I agree comments about a person because of their opinions aren't nice and are usually where (especially political!!!) threads go wrong. But, and this is probably one of those controversial questions, what is a personal attack? I think we'd all have very different opinions!!
    I sometimes see posts from people that I adore on here that are what I'd call personal attacks and because the majority seem to think it's deserved it just continues until everyone is being really quite mean and not showing their usual understanding :(

Do Scope plan to bring back the blogs?? I remember some I read a long time before I was even a member that I'd seen on FB and it's what made me aware of this forum at all. I can't remember the name now but it was some child's experience of being non-verbal. I loved those
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    Good question about the blogs @Biblioklept I'll ask the social media team when next we speak. :) 
    Albus (he/him)

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Neurodivergent.
  • noman
    noman Community member Posts: 590 Pioneering
    Options
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,726 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    In an election year I think its going to be impossible for us to avoid politics and some political discussion but as a subject it needs to be carefully controlled, we do have a member (who shall remain nameless) who is currently causing problems in some threads and seems to be getting away with it, but that's always been a problem on and off.
    I agree with @noman that a chat room of some kind might be of interest ?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Biblioklept
    Options
    OooOoooo I love the idea of a chat room!! 
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    Could you bunch of scamps be trusted with a chat room though?  ;) 
    Albus (he/him)

Neurodivergent.
  • noman
    noman Community member Posts: 590 Pioneering
    edited January 2
    Options
    We would have fun trying but I couldn’t guarantee it:D
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,563 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
  • Ada
    Ada Scope Member Posts: 14,972 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I only use Scope so don’t understand some things. 
    Isn't a chat room what the “ morning “ thread is. We chat on there don’t we 
  • Ada
    Ada Scope Member Posts: 14,972 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I always hide away from politics chat and religion chat. And keep mine hidden. Because I don’t want to be attacked. 
    I always say how this is my Scope Family yet I obviously haven’t enough trust. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,726 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A chat room would be a real time online chat"room" the down side being they need moderators to keep people in line, but I'm sure enough of us would volunteer for that given the chance.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 494 Pioneering
    Options
    Could you bunch of scamps be trusted with a chat room though?  ;) 

Creating a time-restricted online chat room could benefit members, especially those facing disabilities or health issues impacting their sleep. This virtual setting has the potential to provide companionship during lonely or sleepless times. To ensure a secure and positive chat environment Scope could clearly convey that the platform is meant for positive interactions and understanding, discouraging contentious discussions or disruptive behaviour.

By limiting access to specific hours, effective control and monitoring of the chat room can be maintained. Consider experimenting with this idea during a trial period to evaluate its effectiveness before deciding on a permanent implementation; it might pleasantly surprise you and prove to be successful.

• Hilbil
    Hilbil Community member Posts: 14 Courageous
    Options
    As many have said, I feel it is going to be super difficult to avoid political chat this year. Sadly!!  A chat room could be a good idea but surely that would involve  strict administrative protocols?
    I love ready people stories and journeys,  but feel a little like a fraud as although I have many issues I think mine are nothing to what people are going through within this group. Happy and healthy 2024 to all. X
  • MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 494 Pioneering
    Options
    @Hilbil

Welcome to the community. Don't feel like a fraud – your presence and perspective are valuable, and sharing your own journey can be both cathartic for you and supportive for others. We're all here to learn from one another and provide mutual understanding and encouragement. A happy and healthy 2024 to you also.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.