Dictation software for Mac computer — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Dictation software for Mac computer

Options
AdrianY
AdrianY Community member Posts: 5 Listener

Owing to a creeping disability (peripheral neuropathy), I need software for dictation into Microsoft 365 apps including Outlook and Word as well as message and social media services.

I understand the leading Nuance dictation app Dragon (which I used years ago in business) is not available for Mac.

The advice site AlternativeTo says: "Nuance Dragon is not available for Mac but there are plenty of alternatives that run on macOS with similar functionality. The best Mac alternative is Dictanote". I cannot find any credible review of Dictanote.

Please can anyone point me towards advice on suitable software for use on a Mac computer?

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,669 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Isn't "Siri" something similar? I have a Mac and I'm aware of it but have never used it.
    Just a thought.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• AdrianY
    Options
    Thank you, woodbine. I find the Siri thing rather clunky. No control over ‘return’ or any other formatting. The Dragon software accepts entirely voice commands, like ‘new paragraph’ and so on.
  • AdrianY
    Options
    Dragon used to work on Mac but the latest version works on Microsoft Windows PC only 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @AdrianY

Welcome to the community! :) 

Can I ask, have you looked on the Apple Store app reviews? They may help narrow down and app or software that would work for you? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • noman
    noman Community member Posts: 565 Pioneering
    Options
    Apart from siri don't macbooks have apple dictation?
  • noman
    noman Community member Posts: 565 Pioneering
    Options
    There is a dictation software called notta if that is of any use for your needs?
  • AdrianY
    Options
    thank you Norman. I will look into Notta
  • Romozava
    Romozava Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    AdrianY said:

Owing to a creeping disability (peripheral neuropathy), I need software for dictation into Microsoft 365 apps including Outlook and Word as well as message and social media services.

I understand the leading Nuance dictation app Dragon (which I used years ago in business) is not available for Mac.

The advice site AlternativeTo says: "Nuance Dragon is not available for Mac but there are plenty of alternatives that run on macOS with similar functionality. The best Mac alternative is Dictanote". I cannot find any credible review of Dictanote.

Please can anyone point me towards advice on suitable software for use on a Mac computer?

I've used Siri, but it's important to be able to customize it there.
    By the way, as far as Macs are concerned, there are very big difficulties just regarding some synchronizations. It's not the first time I've noticed it. I had a problem with synchronization with iMessage and I tried to solve this problem in different ways. Luckily I found an article on this topic here https://setapp.com/how-to/imessage-not-syncing-on-mac and was able to learn more about it and figure it out. I hope it will be useful for you as well.
  • AdrianY
    Options
    Thank you, Romozava. My son keeps telling me how good Siri is. And I’ve discovered Apple Dictate might be better than I thought.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.