DWP no longer giving extensions (if required) when returning reassessment or review forms? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DWP no longer giving extensions (if required) when returning reassessment or review forms?

Options
apple85
apple85 Community member Posts: 423 Pioneering
So I was chatting to a friend a couple of days back and they’d just got their esa reassessment form (esa50) through the post.

As many of us have probably experienced in the past, the paperwork took a month of Sundays for her to get and it arrived a couple of days before Xmas, 2 weeks after it was ‘sent’ by the dwp (meaning in theory as you only have officially 30days to return review paperwork, once received she only had about a fortnight to complete and send back the form in time)

Now in the past it was relatively simple (once you get through on the phone) - you called the relevant dwp number and once you got through to a dwp staff member you could get a extension (sometimes with a date, sometimes an ongoing date) pretty easily without any resistance.

Obviously she couldn’t call the dwp until Wednesday/thursday this week because of the Xmas holidays - but a dwp staff member informed her that getting an extension for sending back review/reassessment forms was no longer in dwp policy, no exceptions!

I know many on here find that they need a decent amount of time to fill in these forms as they can be very draining - and many on here wait 1-3+ weeks to receive review/reassessment paperwork (from the date on the dwp letter)

basically the quote “it’s a trap” comes to mind - well that’s a bit unfair but if this is a official policy change from the dwp it seems harsh at best, cruel at worst!

can anyone in a similar position confirm that ‘no extensions on mailing back forms’ is now dwp official policy?

also what would happen if my friend sent her form a week + (to a month) after the dwp deadline? - would the dwp just end her esa award on the spot worst case (and if so could she trigger a MR or tribunal to reverse things or be forced to claim UC from stratch?)

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,860 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2023
    Options
    They have never given extra time to return the ESA/UC50 form, like they do with PIP. This has been the case in the 10 years that i've claimed ESA. 

If you have a vulnerable marker on your file they can use their own discretion and continue with the claim (review) without the form being returned.

If you don't have a vulnerable marker on your file and you don't return it within the timescale then your file could be returned back to DWP for failing to return. You will then be contacted by DWP to ask you why you didn't return it on time. It is possible to be found fit for work for failing to return it.

There’s a thread here from some years ago but nothing has changed since ESA was introduced. Same rules apply for the UC50 form. https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/forum/10-dla-esa-queries-results/122153-please-help-esa-stopped-late-returning-form
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • apple85
    apple85 Community member Posts: 423 Pioneering
    Options
    Thanks Poppy

Didn’t realise there was a difference between esa/uc and dla/pip when it came to extending deadlines - good to know!

my friend is wrag esa and I know more wrag are starting to get their reassessments

as a support group esa myself I’m touching wood that under the tories current esa/uc plan I may be ‘done’ with the reassessments and not be one of the unlucky ones in 2024 (of course if we have a May election and Labour win it could all change yet again……………just can’t tell where labour stand on empathy for the disability right now)
  • Andi66
    Andi66 Community member Posts: 44 Courageous
    Options
    Just got mine , got to get it in by next week.  Due to Christmas post. Which makes it 2 weeks, seems unfair 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,759 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My PIP was reviewed last year I asked for an extension and was refused out of hand
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 493 Pioneering
    edited January 9
    Options
    I have never asked for an extension on a ESA50, there was one occasion I didnt get the form, I didnt get the follow up letter either.  I then got a opened letter (by someone else) shoved through my letter box on a sunday informing me my claim was terminated with about a month's notice, I had to fight really hard to get that reversed, I was really lucky they read out an incorrect address they used to send the form to my MP over the phone, I couldnt have asked for a better witness, but they still tried really hard to uphold, they only finally backed down after I submitted appeal for tribunal with two precedents on it and a signed MP letter attached.

On my pip claim, I asked for extra time, and it was granted, this was back in 2019 if I remember the year correctly.
  • Andi66
    Andi66 Community member Posts: 44 Courageous
    Options
    Just finished mine, thanks to a friend. Send it back today special delivery due to getting it late.
    I had to appeal and was put in the limited capacity for work.in 2019
    Had a pt cleaning job gave it up last year due to health problems. I get pip . But it's so stressful.  Its due on Saturday.  I got it on the 2nd. With large print it was 79 pages. Had a major panic attack.  I'm also autistic.  Been poorly with chest infections, as I got copd .could of done with out this 

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,065 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @Andi66. I hope you're feeling a little better today. It's great that you had a friend to help you get through the form so quickly, it's not an easy task. Fingers crossed for a positive outcome!
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.