Equatity release on property — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Equatity release on property

Options
te1
te1 Community member Posts: 94 Courageous
Hi everyone 
I am thinking that the only way for me to have any kind of life is to release some equity from my property. I had a severe break to my ankle in June 2021 I was operated on twice in 2 months. I have been on urgent waiting list for another surgery for 14 months now and was told in October 22 it would not be any longer than 3 months this waiting time has caused considerably more impact on the rest of my body including my spine and knees j paid for a scan and I have 4 bulging discs 2 in lower back and neck which are classed as moderate and 2 that are slight in both areas I do not know what to do anymore I’m in so much pain and crippled I just want to give up and die I really can not live like this for much longer I have no life I hate life I have no life I can barely do anything now and I live on my own. 
Would releasing some money be a good idea as it’s no use to me when I die I’m only going to leave it to daughter and grandchildren for them to have a better life. I feel time I’d running out for me as NHS is not what it should be for people in my situation. 

Comments

• te1
    Options
    I forgot to ask if anyone else has released money from the property they live in and if someone knows the best way of doing this as I know there are some companies that take a huge amount for interest this is totally affecting my physical and mental health I do not no what to do next. Any advice would be appreciated TIA
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,711 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Whilst I would never give financial advice all I would say is that such action could have an impact on benefits so its always best to get the best possible advice before doing this.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 489 Pioneering
    Options
    te1 said:
    I forgot to ask if anyone else has released money from the property they live in and if someone knows the best way of doing this as I know there are some companies that take a huge amount for interest this is totally affecting my physical and mental health I do not no what to do next. Any advice would be appreciated TIA

Although I haven't encountered this personally, I'm aware that many individuals choose to unlock equity from their homes during their lifetimes. This decision is often motivated by the need for financial assistance with home repairs, end-of-life care, and care home fees. It also provides the opportunity for individuals to enjoy luxurious holidays without the necessity of selling their property outright. 

Releasing money from your property is a big decision, especially when it comes to equity release. To make the best choice, get advice from a financial advisor who knows about equity release. They can help you figure out the best option based on your situation, considering your health, financial goals, some plans offer features to protect a portion of your property value for inheritance. 

There are different ways to release equity, like lifetime mortgages or home reversion plans. Check the interest rates and fees for each, and make sure the company follows the standards set by the Equity Release Council. This helps ensure you can stay in your home for life and have the option to move if needed. Also, think about how it might affect the money you want to leave for your family. 

Discussing your decision with family members can provide valuable insights and help create a shared understanding of the implications, especially when it comes to matters of inheritance. Making informed choices is essential to ensure that any equity release arrangement enhances your financial well-being and contributes positively to your overall quality of life.

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,065 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @te1
    I'm truly sorry to hear about how difficult this is for you. It sounds like you're dealing with a tremendous amount of pain and frustration. Your health and well-being are important and I was wondering if you've spoken to a professional about how much this pain is affecting your quality of life and your own mental health. I'm going to email you with some questions, but hopefully someone here will be able to provide you with the information you need for your equity release question.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • te1
    Options
    Hi Adrian I have replied to your email I am so desperate and in despair at the way I have been left in this situation by the negligence of the NHS for so long I might be 65 but I feel like I am 85 and I do not know how much longer I can cope living in such pain day in day out it is crucifying me. I used to work for the NHS until I was just under the age of 60 and have seen a lot of what went on in this establishment and especially the waste of money in so many departments so it does not surprise me in the least as to how this is having an effect on so many people in the UK and the consequences on their quality of life at all ages not just the elderly.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,711 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Re:pain have you asked your GP to refer you to the hospitals pain management clinic ?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• te1
    Options
    woodbine said:
    Re:pain have you asked your GP to refer you to the hospitals pain management clinic ?
    I have been referred to MSK  my GP has warned me that there is a 2 year waiting list for this which is even more depressing. It is unbelievable to say the least. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.