Hi to everyone. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi to everyone.

Options
1Wayne
1Wayne Community member Posts: 4 Listener
I am new to this group and only joined a couple of days ago.
I am a type 1 diabetic 42 years, I have stage 3 CKD, Hypothyroidism, Coeliac, and have a Hiatus Hernia. Wow! I sound like a real moaner.

Can anyone tell me what I should, or could, be claiming? I am still working however I am 66 in March next year (2024) but cannot retire because my wife now wants to do 3 years at University to get a degree so she can be a Radiographer.

I am already getting the higher rate of PIP but I am concerned as I broke my back about 7 years ago. I was operated on and had 3 large screws inserted into my spine, since then I have had a lot of pain but don't want to risk another operation as it could leave me paralysed. I have also recently;t been told some of the pain I am now getting is because I have a trapped Sciatic nerve which again is very painful.
I hope someone can advise me on what is available as I have never known what is and is not out there for people like me.

I hope I've chosen the right place or group for this?

I look forward to a reply

Wayne

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,670 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    https://www.gov.uk/contact-pension-service/claim-state-pension

hi @1Wayne and welcome to scope, the link above details how to claim your state pension which you will need to do after the holidays, as you are getting PIP you will continue to do so.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,394 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The only benefit possible to claim now will  be Universal Credit but because it's a means tested benefit then you will need to claim with your partner. Entitlement will be based on your joint circumstances.

Once you reach state pension age if your wife is under this age then you'll be known as a mixed aged couple. Your state pension will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement. If you have savings/capital of more than £16,000 then you'll be excluded from claiming. Use a benefits calculator to check entitlement. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator

Any student maintenance loan available to your wife will also affect your UC, even if she decides not to take that loan.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • 1Wayne
    Options
    Thanks for that Poppy, I appreciate your feedback.
  • 1Wayne
    Options
    Thank you woodbine, I will have a look at this one.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.