Advice please ,will it trigger UC ? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice please ,will it trigger UC ?

Options
rita444
rita444 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
Hi everyone ,just got a question.
My daughter is on legacy benefits IR 
ESA ,pip.housing benefit .I'm her mum
Her physical and mental health has deteriorated. And I'm thinking of moving in with her .she has a 2 bed council flat and she lives alone. She also get sdp. I work part-time and I don't get any benefits has I earn a wage and I will be classed has a non dependent if I move in with her.the question is will me moving in trigger universal credit 
Or is it just a matter of informing ESA 
Of a change of circumstances I know she may loose her sdp . But she's worried in case it triggers UC .and would rather wait for natural migration. Many thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,691 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2
    Options
    It will not trigger a move to UC for her. As you do not currently claim any benefits then she would lose the SDP. 

There will not be any deductions in her housing benefit because her PIP includes the daily living part. She will then be entitled to full housing benefit because her spare bedroom will be used by you. 

Just so that you’re aware natural migration is when a change of circumstances prompts a move to UC. Managed migration is when you’re invited to apply.

If you do move in with her then she will need to report the changes to ESA and her local Authority. 

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • rita444
    Options
    Thanks for the info poppy 
  • rita444
    Options
    Thankyou for the info poppy we are going to think about it , because obviously there's lots of things to get organized
          Thanks . 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You're welcome. Yes, it's a lot to think about. Also she will be £76.40/week worse off for her ESA but living together will mean shared bills, which will be better i'm sure.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Andi66
    Andi66 Community member Posts: 43 Courageous
    Options
    Yes they take money off your esa,  and it effects housing benefit.  My daughter moved back with me, but because she's getting pip as well, I didn't lose it
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Andi66 said:
    Yes they take money off your esa,  and it effects housing benefit.
    It will affect the ESA in this case because the daughter claims SDP with the ESA. If she didn't claim the SDP then her ESA wouldn't be affected.

Housing benefit isn't affected in a bad way either because the daughter is claiming daily living PIP so there will be no non dependant deductions. 

As the daughter lives in a 2 bed social housing property, if she's currently affected by the bedroom tax, if her mother moves in with her then she won't be affected by the bedroom tax and her whole rent will be covered by housing benefit.
  • rita444
    Options
    Thanks for all your help 
  • rita444
    Options
    Hello again just want to ask .
    When I call ESA as I'm her appointee  to tell them of the change of circumstances that IL be moving in . I know she will loose  sdp but will her ESA be suspended or will it be just adjusted ,will she still get paid fortnightly as normal or will they suspended all payments for a while , just wanting to know thanks
  • poppy123456
    Options
    It should just be the SDP that stops. The rest of her ESA will not be affected by you moving in.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.