Breast cancer — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Breast cancer

unclebob
unclebob Community member Posts: 104 Courageous
My wife was told today she's got Breast cancer. And wanted to know if she can get any extra help from PIP or anywhere else please

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 52,133 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry to hear that. PIP isn't about a diagnosis so unless her conditions have actually changed and it's possible to score more points needed for a higher award then there will be nothing to report. Unless it's end of life with 12 months or less left to live.

May i ask what PIP award she currently has? what other benefits, if anything are you both claiming?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 15,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @unclebob I am sorry to hear you news. She might like to contact https://www.macmillan.org.uk  Macmillan is there to help you. If you want to talk they will listen.
    Macmillan Support Line 0808 808 00 00  the line is open 8am to 8pm 
    I cannot answer your question on PIP hopefully another member will be able to help you. Take care.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,171 Disability Gamechanger
    I don't know about PIP and stuff but I just wanted to send some love and warm thoughts to you and your wife @unclebob <3<3 
  • unclebob
    I'm sorry to hear that. PIP isn't about a diagnosis so unless her conditions have actually changed and it's possible to score more points needed for a higher award then there will be nothing to report. Unless it's end of life with 12 months or less left to live.

May i ask what PIP award she currently has? what other benefits, if anything are you both claiming?
    Thank you my wife get's the lower PIP & Limited capability for work and work-related activity
  • Ada
    Ada Scope Member Posts: 11,134 Disability Gamechanger
    I don't know about PIP and stuff but I just wanted to send some love and warm thoughts to you and your wife @unclebob <3<3 
    Hello @unclebob I just wanted to say the same as @Biblioklept
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 52,133 Disability Gamechanger
    LCWRA is part of UC and this has replaced all other benefits. For PIP then she should only report changes if it's possible to score more points needed for a higher award as it's not about a diagnosis.

The problem about reporting changes is there's always some risk to your current award. They will send more forms to fill in and return and another assessment is most likely. Once a decision is made her award could either remain the same, be increased or stop completely.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • unclebob
    LCWRA is part of UC and this has replaced all other benefits. For PIP then she should only report changes if it's possible to score more points needed for a higher award as it's not about a diagnosis.

The problem about reporting changes is there's always some risk to your current award. They will send more forms to fill in and return and another assessment is most likely. Once a decision is made her award could either remain the same, be increased or stop completely.
    We wont bother calling PIP 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.