Benefits entitlement help please? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefits entitlement help please?

Options
Muireann
Muireann Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hello please can someone help me, I suffer with severe anxiety around phone calls and I’ve tried calling the benefits line and usually chicken out and keep shaking for an hour afterwards.
my situation is I am on enhanced rate PIP both components, I also receive income related ESA support group.
i Have two adult children living with me, eldest (22) works part time used to claim carers for me but now does too many hours. Then my 19yr old is on universal credit the doesn’t have to look for work due to health issues. 
I pay for my carers to come 19 hours a week. Please can you tell me what I would be entitled to as any help paying carers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,403 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    This isn't benefits related as such. Help to pay for the care you receive can be through Direct Payments from your local Authority. Before anything else you will need to have a needs assessment from your local Authority (if you haven't already) from there it will determine what care/support can be provided. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/help-from-social-services-and-charities/getting-a-needs-assessment/

Once the needs assessment is completed if they decide that they can help with care/support you will need to have a financial assessment which will determine how much money they can provide and how much you will need to pay towards it. More information here. https://www.gov.uk/apply-direct-payments

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Muireann
    Options
    Thank you Poppy, I guess I could have worded it much clearer sorry 😞 
    I do get help from direct payments but I also pay £55 a week on top. Before the kids moved home I was getting severe disablement premium I think it was called but when they moved home I didn’t get it as eldest claimed carers for me but they now work. The way I should have worded it I think was can 19yr old claim carers for me even though they are unwell or can I get premium back which would I could then use towards my carers. I apologise that was entirely my fault as I’m still shaking and scatterbrained from attempting to phone. 
  • poppy123456
    edited January 4
    Options
    Yes it's the Severe Disability Premium which is paid in with your Income Related ESA. I note that you said your 22 and 19 year old also live with you. This means that for you to be entitled to this both of those much either be claiming a qualifying disability benefit theirself, such as either PIP daily living, DLA mid/high rate care or ADP daily living. Or be registered blind.

Part of the criteria for this is that you live alone or be treated as living alone. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/severe-disability-premium

Your 19 year claims UC you said. Does that UC include the LCWRA element? If it does then they will not be able to receive carers element at the same time as this. If they claim carers allowance for looking after you then it will just be deducted in full from any UC entitlement so no financial gain.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Muireann
    Options
    Yes it's the Severe Disability Premium which is paid in with your Income Related ESA. I note that you said your 22 and 19 year old also live with you. This means that for you to be entitled to this both of those much either be claiming a qualifying disability benefit theirself, such as either PIP daily living, DLA mid/high rate care or ADP daily living. Or be registered blind.

Part of the criteria for this is that you live alone or be treated as living alone. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/severe-disability-premium

Your 19 year claims UC you said. Does that UC include the LCWRA element? If it does then they will not be able to receive carers element at the same time as this. If they claim carers allowance for looking after you then it will just be deducted in full from any UC entitlement so no financial gain.
    Thank you very much.my 19yr old does have the lcwra element yes that why I didn’t then they could claim carers but needed to ask. They have applied for PIPbut we all know how long that takes. 🫤. 
    I appreciate your help, thank you
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You're welcome. :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.