PIP backpay and IVA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP backpay and IVA

Options
nathaliroma
nathaliroma Community member, Scope Member Posts: 38 Connected
4 years into an IVA which I started before my rapid health decline, I have been awarded PIP. I have a fair amount of backdated money which I didn’t know I would get. I said it would be used for any adaptation to home from upcoming OT visit. They aren’t satisfied without some quotes or documentation. My visit could take 24 weeks and then maybe I could be eligible for a grant. In that case I don’t know what else I can say the money is for. Obviously anything I pay for is to help me. I can’t stand the idea of them taking that. They won’t let me go bankrupt I don’t think now, as I have the stable means to keep my IVA payments the same. Anyone else had to justify this money; what documents did you use?

Any insight would help 👍

Comments

• 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    Options
    An IVA is an agreement that weekly/monthly payments would be used (a) to pay fees and (b) to pay off, as much as possible, of the debts that you have incurred.
    In addition any other one off payments can and should be used to settle more of the debts. 
    As a retired Examiner employed by the Insolvency Service the only money that I could not recover would be welfare payments. However if a back payment of those benefits arose, I would always look to take all of it unless it was to specifically help make adaptions to the home. I personally cannot remember not recovering as much as I could.
  • midnight1980
    midnight1980 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Options
    @nathaliroma
    hi there did you managed to keep your back pay on your iva ?
  • nathaliroma
    Options
    Yes 🙌 thank you 🤩 
  • midnight1980
    midnight1980 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Options
    That’s excellent news @nathaliroma can I ask what iva company was you with , I think I’m going to award pip from what my Pa4 forms ( not 100% until I get that letter) and I’m on a iva with stepchange am so worried I won’t be allowed any of my back pay or award monthly awaiting an answer from them I just wish I knew 
  • nathaliroma
    Options
    I’m with Pay Plan. They class the weekly payment as help with living. I pay someone to do the garden as its upkeep is part of my tenancy agreement. Also I had to show what I used the back payment for. In my case was a new mattress to help with my chronic pain. If you can show what the
    money will be used for then they are ok. I think you have the moral high ground and that helps with having confidence to dig your heels in and decide that you’re entitled this money. It’s not been earned, it is awarded because you need help. My mum was all for going to the local MP. I also passed all the money over to her, as she helps care for me and organise outside help that’s needed. That way they couldn’t just take it from me. It was a bit stressful so I completely understand how you feel 👍

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.