giving money to the children — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

giving money to the children

Options
Hazzardaguess
Hazzardaguess Community member Posts: 3 Listener

If you  have more than £16k in the bank

And you gift a lump sum to your children to help them out with getting on the property ladder – but in the future things change and you need to apply for means tested benefits would the DWP or whoever reject your claim because you gave money away – ( is it like the 7 year rule with money from your parents estate )

At the moment all I claim is pip (daily living only) I have a small wage coming in (less than £12k a year) – as self employed but this could stop at any time – hence asking the questcion.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,400 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's not like the 7 year rule you mentioned. If you do claim a means tested benefit like Universal Credit and you've given away some money then it will be down to a decision maker to make the final decision on whether there's any entitlement to UC.

As you are self employed if you've paid enough class 2 NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years then you can claim New style ESA because that isn't means tested. You would need a fit note to be able to claim this. At the moment this pays £84.80/week (25 and over) that amount does increase each April if benefits increase. The only thing that affects it is a pension of more than £85/week.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.