Grade 3 sacroiliitis / ankylosing spondylitis — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Grade 3 sacroiliitis / ankylosing spondylitis

Options
Hayley12345
Hayley12345 Community member Posts: 12 Listener
Hello, 

I have had chronic back pain for 7 years and originally due to age my GP put it down to my abdominal muscles parting during pregnancy, fast forward 7 years and I have just been informed that I have grade 3 sacroiliitis where my spine has partially fused to my pelvic bone, which has left me in daily pain and during flare ups unable to move. I have been informed i'm going to start a bio medication  and that i'll need to attend the hospital every 2 weeks for this to be administered until im able to inject myself has anyone else started this medication? just looking for some advice i'm really anxious about it! 

Thanks in advance!
Tagged:

Comments

• Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,016 Pioneering
    Options
    Biologics or bio-similars have been around a while now. I have been self-injecting for many years for RA. I imagine your consultant wants to make sure that you are confident in giving yourself the injection. The self-injector pens are easy to use. You just take off the top and press it against your upper thigh (or wherever they tell you) and you will hear a click and the meds go in. There are lots of tutorials on line. Good luck they can be life-changing. Because of the cost of biologics it used to be very difficult to get them prescribed and patients needed to jump through hoops and match the criteria but the bio-similars are much cheaper so I guess they prescribe a bit quicker. The pens need to be kept in a refrigerator and usually get delivered by a courier such as Sciensus. 
  • Hayley12345
    Hayley12345 Community member Posts: 12 Listener
    Options
    Brilliant thank you!
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I hope everything goes well with the biologics @Hayley12345

I was on biologics for Ulcerative Colitis and agree with Cressida that the EpiPen option is easier to administer! Please keep us updated :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • verityc
    verityc Community member Posts: 25 Listener
    Options
    The sound great! I have very similar to u. What's in them? Who do I ask for this? Fed up with pain literally taking over my life

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.