Osteoarthritis, carpal tunnel, sciatica, compressed neck discs that all affect my movement — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Osteoarthritis, carpal tunnel, sciatica, compressed neck discs that all affect my movement

Options
Pick3500
Pick3500 Community member Posts: 16 Listener
Hello all, 

I have spoken to my work OT three times, applied for PIP (declined 2 points awarded), I can't drive a manual car because of gear changing (limited shoulder movement) and I would like to have someone come into my home to assess my home situation so I can my life easier for my mobility.

I have already has a work assessment which advised my that I cannot walk for long distances, no school trips< different computer, table, chair and wrist supports (mouse, mats etc..)

What help and support is available?

Comments

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,280 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @Pick3500, hope you're well. I'm just checking in as I noticed you haven't had a response to this so far, sorry about that. How are things going? Did you have any luck finding ways to make your home situation easier?

Sometimes your GP or your council can refer you to be assessed to see if there are any adaptations that can be made to your home, perhaps this is something you might like to look into if you haven't already :)
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • onedayatatime
    onedayatatime Community member Posts: 31 Courageous
    Options
    Hello there Pick3500, I'm sorry that you are experiencing these difficulties with your mobility. You must be in some discomfort. 
    As Rosie has suggested, I think your GP would be your first point of contact. Also I think it is a department within Social Services that can help with smaller adaptions and aids for the home and the council who have grants for larger and more expensive adaptions for the home. I'm not sure, but perhaps your GP can refer you to an occupational therapist who can help assess your needs at home and guide you through the process.

• Pick3500
    Options
    Thank you all. I'm speaking to my doctor next week.

I completed my pip assessment 2 weeks ago and just waiting for some news. Since my first post I've dislocated my knee cap and found out that I need a knee replacement because my knee has no cartilage. I'm really struggling with walking, standing, sitting, stairs etc and this is severely impacted on my physical and mental health. 

Work are finding out what additional support they can offer me. Moving in the right direction.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,322 Scope online community team
    Options
    Glad you're in touch with your GP @Pick3500 sorry to hear about your knee though! I'm happy to hear work are being supportive, that can make a huge difference.  I'll be keeping everything crossed for a positive PIP outcome too. :) 
    Albus (he/him)

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Pick3500
    Options
    Some good news this morning, my 'PIP' has been awarded for my (haven't a clue what) disabilities. I've been struggling with most parts of my body.

Thanks to my children for filling in the form and sitting with me for me assessment. I think it helped because they gave a true reflection of how my conditions affects me constantly. When I filled it out myself, I had to complete it over 3 weeks and I had to give a true reflection of how my life is, I honestly believe that I was less realistic about my limitations in my first application.

Thank you for your support. Albus_Scopeonedayatatime and Rosie_Scope.

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,280 Scope online community team
    Options
    That's great @Pick3500, glad you were able to get your PIP sorted! Hope it means there's a little less to worry about. Thanks for keeping us updated, it's good to hear from you :)
    Rosie (she/her)

• Pick3500
    Options
    Thank you again  :) I was quite shocked how quick the decision. 
    Asked for an application: 14th December 2023
    Extension requested: 5 January because of Christmas)
    Application sent back: January 28th 2023 (recorded delivery) 
    Application received at DWP PIP: 29th December 2023
    Phone Assessment: 9 a.m. Tuesday 26th March 2024
    Report sent of by assessor: 11.50 a.m. Tuesday 26th March 2024
    Decision: 9th April 2024 (14 days in total this includes a 8 days that were weekends and 2 bank holiday)

I hope this helps others with a timescale. My application was all about how I feel mentally and physically, how I complete tasks and a detailed summary of my problems related to every day tasks. My children wrote words like 'assistance(s),' 'supervision(se)' and timescale of each task.

Now just to wait for the letter. 

• Pick3500
    Options
    Good afternoon all, 

An update, the letter arrived.

Daily Living: 14points
    Mobility: 10 points

I'm very please with the outcome, however I've decide to do a mandatory consideration for the mobility because I cannot walk more than 20 metres without extreme pain, bone on bone, catching and giving way. I've also not been given ZERO points for Q14a, although they gave me points mixing with others. I only go to work which is a familiar setting, hospital etc and I'm always taken my my son.

Any advice would be appreciated.
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    Heya @Pick3500 that's a great outcome!  If you're asking for a MR, please be aware that your award can go down as well as up during these.  But if you can say why you have issues with a specific descriptor, that'll certainly help. If you can walk 20 meters but have to do it very slowly, or you're in constant pain, then you'd be classed as being unable to do it in the eyes of PIP assessors. 
    Albus (he/him)

Neurodivergent.
  • Pick3500
    Options
    Hi Albus, 

I'm aware. A bit silly if I'm only questioning Q14a & but hey ho. Should I send my X-rays and MRI? I have bone on bone and all the issues that someone needing a knee replacement as such I suffer from extreme pain from the  above plus  
    osteoarthritis, sciatica, spurs, chronic ankle instability, carpal tunnel and compressed discs in my neck (all diagnosed). I have suffered 6 falls in 12 months as well all connected to weakness of the knees.

It feels like 10 points is the magic number for Q14 :)
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    It does seem very silly indeed!
     The assessors will be looking at how your issues affect you, not for diagnosis, but if you feel the x-rays and MRIs could help, then feel free to send them in. 
      Though I'd be focusing on telling them what you've just told me. Saying you've had several falls due to your disability will certainly be more useful information, as it's showing real world examples of how your disability affects the descriptor in Q14a. It shows you cannot do it safely. 
    Albus (he/him)

Neurodivergent.
  • onedayatatime
    Options
    Would your GP be willing to provide you with some additional evidence such as a letter, confirming that your diagnosis results in physical pain when standing and moving up to 20 metres? I know some GPs don't provide letters or some charge. For my mandatory consideration, I wrote my own letter to my GP explaining my pain with standing and moving, I told them I wanted it as additional evidence for PIP and asked if they were in agreement, for them to sign and officially stamp the letter. 
    I used a template letter from the internet, I can't honestly remember which website it was from, but try googling something like ' template letter gp pip'. I'd already provided pip with lots of evidence such as MRIs , consultant letters etc, but felt I really needed some new additional information from a medical professional to support me. It wasn't so much to say what my diagnosis was, but confirmation of the pain endured, if that makes sense.
    Hope that's helpful and good luck 👍
  • Pick3500
    Options
    I've spoken to the doctor and my medication has been review and increased because of my condition. I have been signed off work and he states that I'm unfit for work because of 'Knee osteoarthritis - swollen and painful. Struggling to weight bear. Cortisone injection booked 21st May 2024'. Can I send the sick note for evidence? I'll ask for a letter when I attend this appointment.
  • onedayatatime
    Options
    I sent everything @Pick3500
    However, I'd definitely ask the GP to elaborate on the 'struggling to bear weight' part of your Fit Note. Although you have medical evidence for 'conditions' PIP really want to know how you are affected with carrying out daily tasks. With the mobility question, Moving Around, it states:
    Activity 12 – moving around
    This activity considers a claimant’s physical ability to move around without severe discomfort, such as breathlessness, pain or fatigue. This includes the ability to stand and then move up to 20 metres, up to 50 metres, up to 200 metres and over 200 metres.
    Your GP could help support you with a letter when it comes to the pain when standing, bearing weight and moving. 
    Whilst you have a cortisone injection booked for May (which I hope helps give you some relief)
    the outcome and result of such injection is not known . I believe PIP looks at your capability to carry out activities at the time you make your claim.
    If you're up for a read, I suggest reading https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria#mobility-activities
    (Hope it's ok to add a link to that)
    Would it be too cheeky to prepare a letter in advance for your GP to sign? 
    There is a time limit for applying for a mandatory consideration, but this can be extended. If you phone and tell them you are waiting to receive further evidence, then that should be fine. I did this and was asked if I wanted to do my mandatory over the phone, but personally preferred to send evidence from my GP of the pain carrying out daily activities and pain with my mobility.
    Although I had also experienced several falls, PIP did not take that into consideration because I had not been referred to a 'falls clinic'.
    Good luck 

• Albus_Scope
    Options
    Excellent comment there @onedayatatime but just to add to this, you're classed as being unable to do the descriptor if you cannot do it safely, in a reasonable time, repeatedly and to an acceptable standard for more than 50% of the time.

So if you can walk 20m but you can only do it once, need a long rest afterwards, you're in constant pain, or you fall, you'd not be able to do that descriptor. 
    Albus (he/him)

Neurodivergent.
  • onedayatatime
    Options
    Definitely @Albus_Scope
    I found the PIP application really difficult and confusing. I failed to state the obvious and assumed someone would automatically connect all the dots when I first applied 😂 I quickly learned that you had to be very clear in answering questions which often resulted in lots of repetition. But as you stated @Albus_Scope, it's doing things safely, repeatedly, in a reasonable time and acceptable standard! @Pick3500 if you have anything in your GP medical notes about falls, do include them. If you have a GP surgery where you are registered with them online, you can access this information within your records and perhaps print them to include as further evidence.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.