Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Can they dismiss me without following their policy?

Options
Florah
Florah Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited January 7 in Work and employment

Hello, 

I’m currently working for a local authority in the UK in the support and safeguarding team. 6 month probation is due to end first week of February. I returned from Christmas to be told I’ve got a performance plan meeting. 

I informed them when accepting the role I have a thyroid condition and spoke with OH. My manager has decided to re-refer me 7/12/23 and had my appointment 4/1/24

I’ve checked the policy, I’ve not had probation meetings or objectives set, it’s not been made clear on improvements needed or support to do this. Any advice? Can they dismiss me without following their policy? 
Thanks

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,192 Scope online community team
    Options
    Good morning @Florah and a warm welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to hear that employment issues have brought you here. Are you able to ask your employer more information about the meeting ahead of it?

It's great that you've already taken the initiative to check their policies. Was your meeting with occupational health useful? From what you've shared, it does seem like they haven't followed their policy so far.

Unfortunately, I'm not an expert in this area and was wondering if you've heard of ACAS? They provide free, impartial advice on workplace rights, and my partner found them very useful when dealing with issues at an old job. In situations like this, the main advice I can give is to document everything. Keep a record of all communications, meetings, and any documentation related to your probation process. This can be useful in case you need to reference specific details in the future.

Best of luck, and please let us know how you get on.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 554 Pioneering
    Options
    Florah said:

Hello, 

I’m currently working for a local authority in the UK in the support and safeguarding team. 6 month probation is due to end first week of February. I returned from Christmas to be told I’ve got a performance plan meeting. 

I informed them when accepting the role I have a thyroid condition and spoke with OH. My manager has decided to re-refer me 7/12/23 and had my appointment 4/1/24

I’ve checked the policy, I’ve not had probation meetings or objectives set, it’s not been made clear on improvements needed or support to do this. Any advice? Can they dismiss me without following their policy? 
    Thanks

Hello @Florah and welcome to scope.  Is it possible that your employer follows a standard procedure when employees disclose health issues, and your concerns might be unwarranted? 

Your employment contract is a legally binding document that outlines the terms and conditions of your employment, including any policies or procedures related to issues such as performance management, health, and referrals to occupational health.

Most employment rights begin on the first day of employment. This means that you are generally covered by employment laws from the moment you start working for an employer. These rights include the right to the National Minimum Wage, protection against discrimination, and the right to paid annual leave. 

It's important to note that some employment rights, such as the right to claim unfair dismissal, usually require a minimum period of continuous service with the same employer. For unfair dismissal claims, employees typically need to have completed two years of continuous service. However, there are exceptions, and certain types of dismissals may be considered automatically unfair regardless of length of service.

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,913 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My understanding (and it might be wrong) has always been that an employer could sack anyone in the first two years without reason. Is that still the case?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• trb10
    trb10 Community member Posts: 63 Connected
    Options
    Have you been off sick within your probation period?  Have you been given any warnings whether verbal or written about your absence or performance since starting the job?
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.