Wheelchair access impossible — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wheelchair access impossible

Options
Wibbles
Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,606 Pioneering
I am fed up with people parking their vehicles, thoughlessly on pavements totally blocking my path and also the lack of dropped kerbs that mean that I cannot get to where I want to go without a considerable diversion - I  asked my local councillor for help a few months ago and was told that a lack of money prevented any dropped kerbs from being constructed... despite the dropped kerbs being MANDATORY.
He even suggested that I might want to pay for it myself !!
This particular missing dropped kerb is some 1/2 mile from my house.
I was wondering what would happen if I was to, accidentally scratch the side of a car - if it was blocking my wheelchair access ?
Anybody else in a similar position ?

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,776 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    TL;DR Unless things have changed its a case of you both being in the wrong but police probably wouldn't care to prosecute you because it would make them look bad.

My Dad when he was a PC was given a job where exactly this happened to a guy with a Ferrari. Old lady on motorised wheelchair scraped down the entire side of it.

He told Ferrari guy ... yes I can prosecute her ... but I would also have to prosecute you for your parking ...

(Not to mention how would the police look for prosecuting a disabled person trying to go about their daily business?)

Ferrari guy decided to drop accusation. :D 
  • Sunny_D
    Sunny_D Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    Options
    Isn't it this kind of issue that you pay your council tax for?
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,712 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    In defence of councils around 32 of them are either bankrupt or on the verge of bankruptcy due to year after year of cuts in support from central govt. @Wibbles can you find an alternative route?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Wibbles
    Options
    Sunny_D said:
    Isn't it this kind of issue that you pay your council tax for?
    Yes it certainly is
  • Wibbles
    Options
    woodbine said:
    In defence of councils around 32 of them are either bankrupt or on the verge of bankruptcy due to year after year of cuts in support from central govt. @Wibbles can you find an alternative route?
    No there isn't an alternative way to cross that road
    The post office is by the junction 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.