Savings query — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Savings query

Options
sim123
sim123 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hi, thanking people for their help in advance. I will soon be hitting £6000 in my savings and know I must declare it. What is the process? I'm under the impression you must send in bank statements. How far back would the bank statements go? Thanking you in advance
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,395 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The process will depend on which benefits you're claiming. If it's UC then you can report the changes by reporting a change of circumstances and tell you about your savings. If it's other benefits such as Income Related ESA/JSA/Income Support then you'll need to ring them to tell them.

You don't need bank statements for this. You will likely need bank statements if your savings drop below that amount in the future.

Do also take into consideration that all cost of living payments are disregarded indefinitely from all your savings.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sim123
    Options
    Thank you for replying. Do you need to report a change everything your savings increase? This is why I asked about showing bank statements 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    There's a deduction for every £250 or part thereof over £6,000. For example, if you have £6,100 then you need to report it, then report it again if you have £6251 because that will be the next £250. You then do the same when it reaches that next £6,501. If your savings drop then you should report that and it will be then they are likely to ask for bank statements.

You haven't said which benefits exactly you're claiming because some have different deductions. Some are not means tested so capital doesn't affect it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • sim123
    Options
    I get universal credit (lcwra) housing benefit and pip. How much are the deductions. So just to summarise I won't need to send bank statements? I have to inform them every time it goes over 250 even by £1. Thank you 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    As you're claiming UC you will only be claiming housing benefit if you're either living in supported or temporary housing. Otherwise it will be paid with your UC known as housing element. They are 2 completely different benefits.

For UC the deductions for every £250 or part there of are £4.35/month. Yes, for every £250 or part thereof needs to be reported. You won't need bank statemets when reporting increase in savings.

If you're claiming council tax reduction then some local Authorites have a maximum savings limit of £6,000 before entitlement ends. You need to report the changes to them also. If you're claiming single person discount this will not be affected by savings.
  • sim123
    Options
    Yes I get separate housing benefit. Do I need to inform them too?
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,673 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    yes you do
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• sim123
    Options
    Thank you. So universal credit take 4.35 for every 250 and how much do housing benefit take? 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    For legacy benefits it's £1/week for every £250 or part thereof.
  • sim123
    Options
    Sorry if this is a stupid question but is £1 for universal credit and another £1 for housing benefit so £8 per £250 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I believe that because you're living in either temporary or supported housing and you're claiming housing benefit for help with the rent then there will only be a deduction for UC, which will be £4.35/month for every £250 or part thereof, as i advised previously.

However, if you're also claiming council tax reduction you need to report the changes anyway because all local authorities have their own rules for that and i won't be able to give you any advice.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.