Backdated PIP but no SDP?? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Backdated PIP but no SDP??

Options
cazzah99
cazzah99 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi, can anyone confirm my eligibility for SDP please.

Whilst receiving ESA Income and Contributions based I qualified for PIP Daily Standard and Mobility Higher rates on mandatory reconsideration which was backdated. 

? Should I also have received SDP inline with PIP? 

When I moved home I was transferred to UC to claim Housing Benefit so lost ESA Income related but kept ESA contributions based which is deducted from the UC, also keeping PIP. 

? If I qualified for SDP at the award date of PIP, would I also be entitled to the transition protection payment on being moved to UC? 

So far I have been unable to get through on the phone to DWP so I have written to them several times with no response so far. 

Any clarity on my situation would be very much appreciated 🙏
Cx    

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,396 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 6
    Options
    Whether you were entitled to SDP will depend on your circumstances at the time. Were you living alone or with other adults?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cazzah99
    Options
    Many thanks for the speedy response. 
    It is all very piecemeal I'm afraid! 
    Initially I was living separately but in the same property as my ex-husband (not as a couple), I left and stayed with various friends and relatives before going into emergency accommodation then into rented social housing, always alone (but not lonely😉).
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,396 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It may have been possible to claim it while you were living separately but in the same property as your ex but that will be down to a decision maker to make that decision, assuming your PIP started at that time.

When you were living with family you wouldn’t have been entitled to it unless they were either claiming a qualifying disability benefit their self or were registered blind. 

You would have been entitled to it when you were living by yourself, if you were still claiming Income Related ESA at that time. This would mean that your UC should have include the SDP Transitional Protection. 

It really depends on when your PIP started and when you were living alone. 

If there was entitlement then it would be ESA you will need to contact and not PIP.

Hope this helps. 

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cazzah99
    Options
    Thank you so much for making sense of this muddle.  I will keep chasing the ESA team to get this unravelled - hopefully!
    Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
    Thanks again, Caroline

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.