Call the Midwife — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Call the Midwife

Options
Hayls20
Hayls20 Community member Posts: 36 Courageous
Did anyone catch Rosie Jones on Call the Midwife as the mum with cerebral palsy tonight?

She did such a remarkable job, however given the story was set in 1969 and we're now in 2024, I'm wondering how much progress we've actually made when it comes to attitudes and perceptions towards disability, relationships and parenthood?

Speaking from first hand experience, it feels there is still scepticism even from healthcare professionals that we can be in loving, consensual relationships and are actually capable of starting families.

Just a few thoughts but I'm just interested if anyone else watched x

Comments

• surfygoose
    surfygoose Community member Posts: 436 Pioneering
    Options
    I intend to watch it on iPlayer. It was on at the same time as Vera so I had to choose to watch one live and catch the other later.
  • Hayls20
    Options
    I'd love to hear your thoughts once you have watched it  :)
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,280 Scope online community team
    edited January 8
    Options
    I haven't seen it yet. I don't often watch Call the Midwife, but I've heard it's a good episode so I'll give it a watch on catch up a bit later.

I think we're definitely seeing a bit more representation on TV nowadays, but I think attitudes are still a bit slow to change and, like you, I wonder how much progress we've actually made over the years. But I'll have to report back after I've watched it!

What did you think of it @Hayls20? Do you think episodes like these help change people's perceptions?
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @surfygoose I did the opposite will catch up on Vera later! 

@Hayls20 I think Rosie Jones did an amazing job and I agree that there is still a stigma and skepticism from medical professionals now. When I watched the episode, I think it had that great balance of, some medical professionals are amazing (more so relating to the TV shows characters), but it still had that notion of handling the mum who has Cerebral Palsy, with kid gloves. There is so much support there and knowing about it is great. But for them to come to Rosie's character with a plan of support instead of working out what she would have wanted is where I could see it. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,820 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I put it on catch up last night but I fell asleep, so will catch up again later, I opted for Vera at the time.  I do like call the midwife. It's good to see different eras in the programme, how they did things and the changes they have to adhere to. 
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 7,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

@Hayls20
    Hi I hope you’re doing well.
    I watched it later on last night and thought it was played really well by Rosie Jones, and the rest off the cast. 

❤️
  • Lou67
    Options

@Hayls20
    Aww hi I have just remembered that I spoke with you a couple off years ago, when you first found out you were pregnant.
    It’s so nice to see you posting. I hope you and your family are all doing well.  😊
  • Hayls20
    Options
    @Rosie_Scope - I really enjoyed it because it's something I've been through myself now, and could definitely see parallels which was A - nice to feel seen, but B - also concerning that I felt a similar way to someone who went through it over 50 years go, hence bringing the whole topic up.

@Hannah_Scope - this is definitely what I found, I do think it found the right balance of showing that some medical professionals will really champion you and your independence, while others, well maybe don't so much...

Oh hi @Lou67 - you very really kind and friendly when I first posted and I've always remembered that. We are good thanks, learning constantly with a running toddler though! 
  • Lou67
    Options

@Hayls20
    Aww that was such a lovely thing you said thank you.
    Im so glad yous are doing well, omg your wee ones a toddler already, time has went so quickly.
    Again it’s been lovely to hear your doing good.

Take care ❤️
  • Hayls20
    Options
    It really has flown by, can't believe it either! Making me want another 

😅

• Lou67
    Options

Aww that’s lovely 😊 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.