Received a fixed penalty notice after an insurance problem, will I lose my motability car? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Received a fixed penalty notice after an insurance problem, will I lose my motability car?

Options
angiejane
angiejane Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited January 8 in Transport and travel
Hi

I have recently collected my motorbility vehicle however after i collected it i recieved a fixed penalty in the post for driving with no insurance on my car previous to my new motorbility. My previous insurance company cancelled my insurance without physically writing to me only email which i never picked up. I now have recoeved a fixed penalty and 6 points and i believe the code will be IN10. I have complained to the financial ombudsmen about this however will take 6 to 8 weeks. I have to pay the fine within 28 days. Is it likely i wont be able to keep the car now ?  I cant believe this is happening nothing like this has ever happened to me. Plus ive sold my old car now which means if i come off the scheme i will have no car and could lose my job. I feel sick with all.this.

Comments

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,364 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @angiejane, welcome to the community. Sorry this has happened to you, I can understand why you might be feeling worried, it doesn't sound easy. 

I'm by no means an expert on this kind of thing, but hopefully some of our members can offer some of their experiences soon. I'll pop your post over to our transport section where more members can find it and offer some help and support.

Have you contacted Citizens Advice? They might be able to offer you some advice on whether you can appeal the fixed penalty notice without a result from the ombudsmen. They might also be able to tell you whether you might need further legal advice to challenge the penalty and where to get this from.

I hope things get clearer for you soon :) 
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,572 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't know the answer to that but i do know you will need to report it to Direct Line Insurance and they will decide what will happen next. (if anything) It may depend on the reason why your insurance was cancelled.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • angiejane
    Options
    Thanks it seems that appealing is not an option and i could recieve more points. I spoke to a firm today and its £1000 to get them to represent me but they dont have a very good response rate.
  • BrettW
    BrettW Community member Posts: 698 Pioneering
    Options
    @angiejane why is appealing not an option and why could this result in you obtaining more points on your license?
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,702 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    BrettW said:
    @angiejane why is appealing not an option and why could this result in you obtaining more points on your license?
    I was wondering about that one as well. ???
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• angiejane
    Options
    It says on my fixed penalty it can resulr in more points or have to pay court costs
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,572 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    What was the reason why your insurance was cancelled? It may help us to advise you. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 489 Pioneering
    Options
    angiejane said:
    Hi

I have recently collected my motorbility vehicle however after i collected it i recieved a fixed penalty in the post for driving with no insurance on my car previous to my new motorbility. My previous insurance company cancelled my insurance without physically writing to me only email which i never picked up. I now have recoeved a fixed penalty and 6 points and i believe the code will be IN10. I have complained to the financial ombudsmen about this however will take 6 to 8 weeks. I have to pay the fine within 28 days. Is it likely i wont be able to keep the car now ?  I cant believe this is happening nothing like this has ever happened to me. Plus ive sold my old car now which means if i come off the scheme i will have no car and could lose my job. I feel sick with all.this.

You are facing two distinct challenges. The camera identified a vehicle, registered under your name, without insurance. Considering the fixed penalty notice, I recommend acknowledging and settling it, as this aspect is not in dispute. 

Regarding the cancellation of your previous insurance policy, clarify the reasons and escalate the issue within the insurance company if needed. Maintain a detailed record of all communications and gather compelling evidence to support your case. Insurers are obligated to follow agreed-upon terms, and collaboration to rectify errors. Take these steps before presenting evidence to the ombudsman, as they will inquire about your dissatisfaction with the company's decision to cancel your insurance. 

Additionally, you have a responsibility to inform the mobility scheme about the fixed penalty notice promptly if you haven't already, as it could potentially impact your current insurance policy for your Motability car.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.