Question about possible holiday while on PIP/ESA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Question about possible holiday while on PIP/ESA

Options
Remina
Remina Community member Posts: 148 Pioneering
Hi. I claim ESA (Support group) / PIP, my family said they were thinking of possibly taking a short 4-day holiday in Italy, and invited me as they think it might help boost my spirits and help take my mind off the stress of my medical treatment for a little while. It's very hard for me to get around without help and on top of that I suffer severe, chronic nausea as a side effect of the medications I take, so the journey itself would be difficult for me.

However what I'm most worried about is that if I took a holiday that it will go against me in future ESA/PIP reviews and that they will wrongly assume that ''If that person is able to go on holiday, they can work!''. So, my questions are -

1) Would I need to inform both the PIP and the ESA call centre that I'm going on a 4-day holiday?

2) If I must inform them about it, will the DWP use the fact I went on holiday against me in future PIP/ESA reviews?

Thank you

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,127 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Such a short break away will not cause a problem with your benefits, & you don't need to inform them. I hope you can look forward to your holiday as having such a break would not go against you.

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,759 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 8
    Options
    You can go on holiday for upto 28 days no problems, go and enjoy yourself.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Remina
    Remina Community member Posts: 148 Pioneering
    edited January 8
    Options
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,066 Scope online community team
    edited January 9
    Options
    Hello @Remina. I noticed that you've already had your question answered, so I just wanted to take a moment to wish you a fantastic time in Italy. We would love to hear all about it when you return. Have a wonderful trip! 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,914 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As said you have nothing to be concerned about and deserve a holiday as much (if not more) than someone with no health problems.

I hope you have a nice time.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.