UC letter received — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC letter received

Options
sandy786
sandy786 Community member Posts: 23 Listener
Hi everybody my first post.

I have 3 children 1 who is disabled and gets DLA my partner handles this he is the appointee for him the house is in his name only and he has a mortgage in his name. We recieved 2 letters in the post on 15th December 2023 telling us in both letters to apply together for UC. We have not applied yet. And have untill March 2024 to apply.

Things between me and my partner have not been good as I suspected he is having a affair he has now decided he wants to separate from me and no longer wants live with me. He says I can live in the house with the children and he will carry on paying the mortgage to keep a roof over the kids.

As UC have written to both of us and asked both of us to apply together what do I do ?

The house is in his name mortgage in his sole name. He is going to carry on paying the mortgage will UC have a issue with this?

DLA for 1 of my child he is the appointee for him what do I do about this?

I am going through a lot of stress at the moment and don't know what to do it's like my world has come to a end. Someone please help and guide me.

Thank you 

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,513 Scope online community team
    edited January 10
    Options
    Hi @sandy786 and sorry to hear about your relationship issues, I cant imagine how hard it must be for you right now. We're all here to offer support if you need it.

I'm not 100% on what would happen, but if there's a change of circumstances, it's best to contact the DWP to let them know.  As UC can be claimed singly, or as a couple and this would affect the amount you'd receive.  I'm sure one of our super smart regulars will be able to give you a definite answer soon. 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,808 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you are no longer living together then you will need to claim UC as single people. If you're still living together then you can still claim as single people but you maybe asked to prove that you're not living together as a couple. This may mean sending evidence such as bank statements in your own name.

I'm not 100% sure what will happen to any transitional protection you may have been entitled to because your tax credits is a joint claim. Where as your UC will be a single claim. If the children are continuing to live with you then you will be able to claim UC for those.

Whether there's any entitlement to UC for your ex partner will depend on their circumstances.

If he pays to mortgage directly and you're going to continue living in the property then there will be no issues with that. Of course you won't be entitled to claim for help with any rent in this situation.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sandy786
    Options
    If you are no longer living together then you will need to claim UC as single people. If you're still living together then you can still claim as single people but you maybe asked to prove that you're not living together as a couple. This may mean sending evidence such as bank statements in your own name.

I'm not 100% sure what will happen to any transitional protection you may have been entitled to because your tax credits is a joint claim. Where as your UC will be a single claim. If the children are continuing to live with you then you will be able to claim UC for those.

Whether there's any entitlement to UC for your ex partner will depend on their circumstances.

If he pays to mortgage directly and you're going to continue living in the property then there will be no issues with that. Of course you won't be entitled to claim for help with any rent in this situation.
    Hi Poppy 

Partner has said he will carry on paying mortgage direct debit from his account as he always has done. And no I don't need help with rent payments.

He is still living in the house although we are sleeping in different rooms as I don't want to speak to him he is planning to move out at the end of the month. What do I do ounce he is moved out phone tax credit and tell them that we are no longer together and then do my application for UC online? Or don't notify Tax credit and start UC application online ounce partner is gone?

What about the DLA for my child he is the appointee for the child. What do I need to do about this?

I am really sorry but I'm going through a nightmare at the moment my life has turned into a wreck. I just want to make sure I am doing everything right and not get my self into trouble.

Thank you Poppy
  • poppy123456
    Options
    The money he pays for the mortgage will not affect your UC. You don't need to inform Tax credits because once you claim UC your Tax Credits will end anyway.

If you claim UC before he moves out then you maybe asked questions about your relationship with him. Or you can just leave it until he moves out.

If he's the appointee for the DLA claim do the payments for that go into his bank account? Are the children staying with you?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • sandy786
    Options
    The money he pays for the mortgage will not affect your UC. You don't need to inform Tax credits because once you claim UC your Tax Credits will end anyway.

If you claim UC before he moves out then you maybe asked questions about your relationship with him. Or you can just leave it until he moves out.

If he's the appointee for the DLA claim do the payments for that go into his bank account? Are the children staying with you?
    H is the appointee for our disabled child And yes payments for DLA go into his account. All 3 children will be staying with me.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Is he able to contact DLA to change the appointee to you because the child will be living with you?
  • sandy786
    Options
    Is he able to contact DLA to change the appointee to you because the child will be living with you?
    Will this be a easy process to take off my partner as the appointee and add me and change bank details as well? 

Also will this change affect my childs DLA claim?

Thank yo

• poppy123456
    Options
    To be honest, i don't know what the process is exactly for childs DLA. The best thing to do is for your ex to ring DLA to ask them.

It will not affect the DLA payments.
  • sandy786
    Options
    To be honest, i don't know what the process is exactly for childs DLA. The best thing to do is for your ex to ring DLA to ask them.

In regards to the transitional protection we are currently getting £1200 every weeks on Tax credit. I have done a calculation on a benefit calculator online on entitlto and it is saying as a single claim I will get £1550 a month UC So is this what I will get even though it's more than what I'm getting on what's Tax Credit?

• poppy123456
    Options
    sandy786 said:

In regards to the transitional protection we are currently getting £1200 every weeks on Tax credit.

I'm assuming that's £1,200 every 4 weeks? Some people are better off by claiming UC than they are by remaining on Tax credits.

How old are your children and what DLA award does your child have? Are you currently working?
  • sandy786
    Options
    sandy786 said:

In regards to the transitional protection we are currently getting £1200 every weeks on Tax credit.

I'm assuming that's £1,200 every 4 weeks? Some people are better off by claiming UC than they are by remaining on Tax credits.

How old are your children and what DLA award does your child have? Are you currently working?
    Sorry my mistake £1200 every 4 weeks. Chilldrens ages.
    15 10 and 7 child gets highest award for care and low mobility. I am not working I get carers allowance for taking care of my son.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Thanks. Assuming your youngest was born before April 2017 then your UC as a single person should look something like this..

Single allowance (over 25) £368.74
    Child element eldest £315
    Child element x 2 for younger children £539.16
    Disabled child element (higher rate) £456.89
    Carers element £185.86

Total UC before deductions = £1,865.65 - carers allowance £332.58
    Total amount UC payable after deductions = £1,533.07/month + your carers allowance payment and child benefit.

You are not affected by the benefit cap because you're claiming carers allowance/carers element.

Please make sure you report being a carer for your youngest and then the carers element will be included. As a carer you will have no work commiments but you maybe expected to attend your local Job centre for your first appointment.

Hope this helps. As you'll be better off by claiming UC then there will be no Transitional Protection payable. If you need further advice when you do claim please come back and i'm sure someone will be happy to advise you further.
  • sandy786
    Options
    Thanks. Assuming your youngest was born before April 2017 then your UC as a single person should look something like this..

Single allowance (over 25) £368.74
    Child element eldest £315
    Child element x 2 for younger children £539.16
    Disabled child element (higher rate) £456.89
    Carers element £185.86

Total UC before deductions = £1,865.65 - carers allowance £332.58
    Total amount UC payable after deductions = £1,533.07/month + your carers allowance payment and child benefit.

You are not affected by the benefit cap because you're claiming carers allowance/carers element.

Please make sure you report being a carer for your youngest and then the carers element will be included. As a carer you will have no work commiments but you maybe expected to attend your local Job centre for your first appointment.

Hope this helps. As you'll be better off by claiming UC then there will be no Transitional Protection payable. If you need further advice when you do claim please come back and i'm sure someone will be happy to advise you further.
    Carers allowance is £76.75 a week I get this every 4 weeks £307 but why are UC deducting £332.58 off my UC award they taking an extra £25.58 ? I don't understand this when I did the calculation it said the same.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Carers allowance is a weekly benefit. UC is a monthly benefit. There's 4.3 weeks in a month, not 4 weeks. To work out the monthly deduction you times the weekly amount by 52 and the divide by 12.

Being paid carers allowance every 4 weeks, there will be 1 month a year when you'll receive 2 payments, instead of one.
  • sandy786
    Options
    Carers allowance is a weekly benefit. UC is a monthly benefit. There's 4.3 weeks in a month, not 4 weeks. To work out the monthly deduction you times the weekly amount by 52 and the divide by 12.

Being paid carers allowance every 4 weeks, there will be 1 month a year when you'll receive 2 payments, instead of one.
    I am confused so am I at a loss or not?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    No, you haven't lost anything because for carers allowance you will receive 2 payments 1 month of the year. If they took the same amount as your Carers allowance then you would be receiving more than you're entitled to. UC is monthly, CA is weekly. 

There's no financial gain to claiming both at the same time. The only advantage is that for CA you receive class 1 NI credits but for UC you receive class 3.

Don't forget your UC will also include the carers element, providing you tell them you're a carer. Carers element isn't automatically added, even when claiming carers allowance.
  • sandy786
    Options
    sandy786 said:

Sorry my mistake £1200 every 4 weeks.
    15 10 and 7 child gets highest award for care and low mobility. I am not working I get carers allowance for taking care of my son.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.