Warm home discount — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Warm home discount

Options
charlie79
charlie79 Community member Posts: 258 Pioneering
I haven't received a letter regarding my whd entitlement. 
I am old style benefits esa/sdp/pip/housing benefit. 
I called the helpline provided by government. The gentleman advised me I meet the criteria regarding benefits but because my flat energy effiency is c and d my building does not meet criteria  i am not entitled.
 Can someone explain regarding the building. I'm confused. It's a 1 bedroom flat which was built in 70s . It's concrete structure so gets hot in summer and freezing in winter. I have mould and my electric/gas is hitting around £209 per month. 
I have many mental health problems housebound due to agrophobia and trauma. Also I have anorexia and am now down to a size 6. So I'm cold constantly.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,744 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    details in link but I don't see anything about energy rating and the money is paid direct to your electricity supply, letters should be received by mid January.

https://www.gov.uk/the-warm-home-discount-scheme
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,503 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @charlie79 I'm sorry to hear you haven't received your letter still. All I can find online is this link, which does go into detail on energy efficiency, but one part stood out which may be of use to you?

"If you think your energy costs assessment isn't accurate, you can usually challenge it by getting in touch with the Warm Home Discount helpline on 0800 030 9322 or in writing. The helpline is now open and will close to new claims on 29 February 2024."

Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,650 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sadly, most people living in small flats no longer qualify since the scheme was changed in 2022.  

Being on eligible benefits is only half of the criteria.  The other criteria is the 'energy score', which I have copied below from the .Gov website.

Warm Home Discount Scheme: If you’re on a low income in England and Wales - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Your energy cost score

Your property must have a high energy cost score to be eligible for the scheme.

This is not based on the actual energy costs in your energy bill. It’s calculated based on your property’s type, age and floor area.

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,125 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There has been a change to the Warm Home Discount (in England & Wales) which lowered the high energy cost threshold for 2023/4 (see pps 6 & 13), so think this is the most up to date info: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1183969/warm-home-discount-eligibility-statement-2023.pdf

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,765 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't know why you were told about the EPC rating because it's nothing to do with that. Although they lowered the threshold this year for the WHD it's still very unlikely that living in a small flat would qualify you.

You can check yourself to see if you qualify but it's unlikely. https://www.check-warm-home-discount-eligibility.service.gov.uk/region/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    edited February 10
    Options
    Surprisingly I qualified this year, really surprised as the new WHD isnt kind to people in flats, I didnt get it last year, but did get it this year, I assume they must have adjusted the high energy use threshold.

I first noticed "about your WHD" on the Octopus dashboard, which made me hopeful, then about 2 weeks later the letter came, and not long after that I was credited the £150.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    worried33 said:
    Surprisingly I qualified this year, really surprised as the new WHD isnt kind to people in flats, I didnt get it last year, but did get it this year, I assume they must have adjusted the high energy use threshold.

I first noticed "about your WHD" on the Octopus dashboard, which made me hopeful, then about 2 weeks later the letter came, and not long after that I was credited the £150.
    They lowered the threshold this year compared to the previous year. It's not about high energy costs as such. It's more about the size and age of the property you live in. You are correct about flats and not many qualify when living in them. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    Options
    Well they call it high energy costs, thats why I said the same to avoid confusion.

I dont like the formula they using and think its unfair, I guess I am one of the very few in a flat to qualify now.
  • Meg24
    Meg24 Community member Posts: 59 Pioneering
    edited March 5
    Options
    I was getting it for around a decade, it used to be a great help, before the energy prices went so high. However I don't qualify anymore either, I don't know why as I live in a gable end terrace house and it costs me a lot to heat, as soon as the heating goes off it gets cold within about half an hour and I'm back to square one. I've invested in electric blankets which do keep me warm if I stay tucked up in them. I do get ill a lot more though because of the cold air and more damp. It was another one of those things that this government sold as a good thing - "targetted help" etc. Well I needed it, and now I don't get it anymore. Thanks Rishi.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Meg24 said:
    I was getting it for around a decade, it used to be a great help, before the energy prices went so high. However I don't qualify anymore either, I don't know why as I live in a gable end terrace house and it costs me a lot to heat, as soon as the heating goes off it gets cold within about half an hour and I'm back to square one. I've invested in electric blankets which do keep me warm if I stay tucked up in them. I do get ill a lot more though because of the cold air and more damp. It was another one of those things that this government sold as a good thing - "targetted help" etc. Well I needed it, and now I don't get it anymore. Thanks Rishi.
    The criteria for the WHD changed a couple of years ago for those that live in England or Wales. How much it costs to heat your home isn't considered in the eligibility criteria unfortunately. What is taken into consideration is which benefits exactly you claim and the age and size of the home you live in.  
  • Meg24
    Meg24 Community member Posts: 59 Pioneering
    edited March 5
    Options
    Meg24 said:
    The criteria for the WHD changed a couple of years ago for those that live in England or Wales. How much it costs to heat your home isn't considered in the eligibility criteria unfortunately. What is taken into consideration is which benefits exactly you claim and the age and size of the home you live in.  
    Surely the fact that it used to be given to people on the lowest incomes on the grounds that we needed it, and yet in the middle of a cost of living crisis they've decided we are no longer eligible should make us furious? It shouldn't matter if I live in a shoebox, if I'm too poor to afford the bills (I'm on IRESA) they have no business removing help that has been deemed necessary for me for a decade. To dress up that cut as helpful to others instead is a kick in my chattering teeth.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I don't make the rules, I just advise you of them. They did lower the threshold for this the most recent payment. I missed out on it in the first year of the changes but was entitled to it this year. Being on low income isn't the only criteria now, unfortunately. 
  • Spike1776
    Spike1776 Community member Posts: 42 Connected
    Options
    I live in a flat and before they changed the rules on WHD I got it for many years

not any more sadly .
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear that @Spike1776, if you're struggling, you can always speak to the lovely folk over on our disability energy support
    Albus (he/him)

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Spike1776
    Spike1776 Community member Posts: 42 Connected
    Options
    Thanks @Albus_Scope I’ll keep that in mind but I have a more pressing and distressing battle with UC who took away my LCWRA status because my claim closed in December 2023 in February 2024 I made a reclaim but made a mistake and that claim was closed today I made a new claim and my LCWRA status has been removed by an agent.
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    I'm just having a read through that discussion @Spike1776, I'm so sorry they've added to an already stressful time. 
    Albus (he/him)

Neurodivergent.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Spike1776 said:
    Thanks @Albus_Scope I’ll keep that in mind but I have a more pressing and distressing battle with UC who took away my LCWRA status because my claim closed in December 2023 in February 2024 I made a reclaim but made a mistake and that claim was closed today I made a new claim and my LCWRA status has been removed by an agent.

It hasn't been removed and an agent has no authority to add or remove anything, only a decision maker can do that.

It wasn't included in your claim when you started that new claim. It will need to be added to your claim, which will be done by a decision maker. The fit note request is just a formality, which they usually ask for when starting a new claim, even those that transfer from ESA are asked for one. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.