Hi I'm Holdingon - funding for care in our own home after stroke — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi I'm Holdingon - funding for care in our own home after stroke

Options
holdingon
holdingon Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi everyone,  hubby (58)  had massive stroke 4 years ago. Has hemiplegia, requires hoisting for all transfers from bed, chair, shower chair etc. He was receiving fully funded CHC care in our home as he was EOL, tube fed, tracheostomy in place.   His tracheo was removed a year ago so now he can speak a few words and eat some soft food.    CHC have decided he is well enough so no longer qualifies and funding will cease in 10 days.  We did all the DST reports etc and they changed his grading to moderate across everything.     
Social services are now involved but due to husband's disabilities he needs extensive care.   I was told yesterday to expect a massive shortfall in what SS can offer and what I will have to contribute- potentially £500 a week to his care costs.    I don't know what to do, I'm in shock, how do I afford that kind of money? I work full time but no way I can cover that sum. Where should I turn to?

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.