Universal Credit Questions. We have been advised we may qualify for UC — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal Credit Questions. We have been advised we may qualify for UC

Sparkle87
Sparkle87 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited January 12 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi - I'm looking for some information as I am a bit lost! We are a family of four, two adults and two children age 7&9.
My husband has a good job and is the sole earner in the house, I am a carer for my son. Both sons are autistic and receive child disability payments (Scotland) and I receive Carer's Allowance. 

We have been advised we may qualify for UC despite my husband having a relatively high income, can anyone tell me if this is correct?

He works full time and earns £734 per week after deductions. He also pays an extra £600 a month from his net wages into his work pension (he started pension later in life and trying to catch up).

He helps to care for the children and we were told this would entitle him to the carer's element in the calculation. 

Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 3,930 Scope online community team
    Hey there @Sparkle87 and welcome to the community. I hope you're doing ok today?

I understand the confusion, Universal credit isn't the easiest benefit to make head or tail of.  I'm not 100% on the answers and would rather not give information if it's not correct, but hopefully one of our super smart regulars will be along to help you shortly. :) 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,926 Disability Gamechanger
    The best thing to do is to use a benefits calculator and put both your details into it. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator The carers allowance will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.

As both your sons are claiming ADP if the other son that you don't claim carers allowance for is claiming either mid/high rate care then your partner can claim carers element of UC for looking after them. This would mean your UC will include 2 carers elements, the other element being for you. Theres's no earnings limit when claiming carers element, like there is for carers allowance.

When there's any entitled to UC will depend on how much earnings he receives each month.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Sparkle87
    Thank you for that - do you have any idea whether the extra pension contributions would affect anything? Not sure of the rules, does it matter what you spend your money on, is it scrutinised? We normally try and overpay our mortgage out of my husband's wages and I'm worried that this would be against the rules? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,926 Disability Gamechanger
    Paying extra for your mortgage will not be an issue. What you spend your money on is your decision. UC entitlement is based on net earnings received each month. Paying into a pension is also fine when claiming UC.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Sparkle87
    Thank you, I'm just trying to make sure everything is above board and that we aren't doing anything wrong.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.