If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hypothyroidism and PIP Awards

Options
HealthyUnicorn
HealthyUnicorn Community member Posts: 45 Connected
I was more wondering if people have been success with a claim based on how their hypothyroidism affects them? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,098 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    PIP isn’t awarded based on any diagnosis. As we are all affected differently by those conditions then it’s not possible to compare 2 people. Please have a read of the link I posted in your other thread. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,127 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @HealthyUnicorn - & welcome to the community. As everyone is affected differently, then as far as PIP goes, other's experience of hypothyroidism may not be at all similar to your own situation.
    As poppy has already mentioned on another of your posts, PIP is therefore not based on any diagnoses, rather how your functional ability might be affected with regard to the activities/descriptors that are looked at with PIP.
    I have hypothyroidism, but the cause of mine may be very different to your own. In my case, for example, it has a negligible impact on any activities of daily living, & none whatsoever on my mobility.
    PIP really is about how your disability affects you, & if you can do any applicable activity 'reliably.'

• HealthyUnicorn
    Options
    Thank you both. I certainly do understand that 1 condition can affect 2 different people differently and that the benefit awards are nor based on diagnosis alone.

Nonetheless, my enquiry remains to know if it has been heard of and how often if people are awarded PIP for (the symptoms) hypothyroidism. 
  • HealthyUnicorn
    Options
    Cressida said:
    I also have hypothyroidism but mine is controlled with the medications so does not affect day to day life. If you are recently diagnosed and trying to learn a bit more about the disorder you may find this site useful. I was referred to an Endocrinologist but am now just under GP care for regular bloods.

https://www.btf-thyroid.org/pages/category/types-of-thyroid-disorders

Thank you for sharing. I have been educating myself as far as possible while being symptomatic (not easy). 

One thing, I do often get confused by is how some people are treated by endocrinologists and others by their GP with this disease. 
  • Nashota
    Nashota Community member Posts: 74 Courageous
    Options
    Sorry to jump in, I saw the title and thought I'd have a read.

My son was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, his GP has been poor at giving my son any useful advice, they don't keep a proper check on him at all and the only time he's asked to do a blood test is when he has a med review, in the meantime he struggles with carpal tunnel syndrome which is caused by it and other symptoms, like being tired, pain etc. he takes medication for it. He's never been referred for it either, I'm the one who's had to go and look up the condition to try and help him.

I'll pass that link onto him and mention endocrinologist, thanks for posting that @Cressida

I hope someone can answer your question.
  • HealthyUnicorn
    Options
    Nashota said:
    Sorry to jump in, I saw the title and thought I'd have a read.

My son was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, his GP has been poor at giving my son any useful advice, they don't keep a proper check on him at all and the only time he's asked to do a blood test is when he has a med review, in the meantime he struggles with carpal tunnel syndrome which is caused by it and other symptoms, like being tired, pain etc. he takes medication for it. He's never been referred for it either, I'm the one who's had to go and look up the condition to try and help him.

I'll pass that link onto him and mention endocrinologist, thanks for posting that @Cressida

I hope someone can answer your question.
    Thank you for sharing. 

It seems many patients are mistreated with the disease and I too suffer all sorts of symptoms as a result, since the thyroid affects everything. I believe Levothyroxine doesn’t work for everyone, and often people are left on too low a dose or their doses are heavily handled. It doesn’t help that too many professionals, including endocrinologists don’t seem to understand the very tests the order and ignore or fail to understand the symptoms as they are ‘non specific’. 

As for PIP, my guess is that those that suffer with the disease are too too symptomatic to ever reach the stage of calling the PIP helpline.  
  • HealthyUnicorn
    Options
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.