Chronic pain — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Chronic pain

Options
Taylornoreen63
Taylornoreen63 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
Hi im new to this page I suffer so much with chronic pain I am also suffering with osteoarthritis.throughtout my body. I had an MRI and my results came back I've got so much going on with my back.some days I can't do anything apart from lay in bed because it hurts to move. I will find out on Friday what I will be getting for the pain. 

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As someone who also suffers from chronic pain (generalised osteoarthrosis like yourself, but due to having hypermobile joints) I can appreciate what you're going through. I don't know if you looked at this post in this chronic pain category, but I'm hoping you may find something in it that may be helpful:  https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/102784/resources-and-tips-for-those-living-with-chronic-pain
    I personally use diaphragmatic breathing, the deep breathing exercise a lot, & it's the first thing I'd recommend. Often it's found that a combination of things work, so I hope you'll give the links within this post a read.

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,642 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have you asked your GP for a referral to the local pain clinic?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• bookrabbit
    bookrabbit Community member Posts: 196 Pioneering
    Options
    I have been living with chronic pain for years and years. At first I used pain killers - tramadol for several years but I ended up with chronic headaches and it was less and less effective as time went by. I ended up weaning myself off it and using distraction and breathing techniques. I spent several years wearing headphones all the time to pin my attention on music or audio books rather than pay attention to the pain. I learned lots of languages too and listened in other languages. I am now fairly fluent in several of them as a bonus to being able to mostly ignore the pain. I just get on with things most of the time. I have had more trouble with fatigue since I learned those techniques than with pain. I run into an energy brick wall instead of a pain wall unfortunately:( But using time management I can maximise what I achieve with energy rationing. More problematic is that my gait has become odd and I shuffle and lose my balance unless I hang onto things or wave my arms around. Sometimes I struggle to make my legs move at all and have pins and needles as if I have had an anesthetic.
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,213 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @Taylornoreen63, sorry to hear you're struggling with your chronic pain. It looks like our members have shared some good advice so far. I hope whatever you find out on Friday is helpful and you can be a little bit more comfortable soon :) keep us posted!
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Taylornoreen63
    Taylornoreen63 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    Options
    Thank you Rosie - scope I will keep you posted 
  • agent_next_door
    agent_next_door Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options
    I know it's been a little while,I really hope you got sorted with some relief, and are able to spend a little less time in bed.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.