Student placement and uc — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Student placement and uc

saram Community member Posts: 45 Connected
Hi ☺️ 
I'm not sure where to exactly post this but I have a question regarding placement as a student I am enrolled on a course which has a year of placement I do still receive UC as a lone parent. I've been looking around but I can't really find if the placement year will affect my UC due to university guidelines the placement has to be payed placement which would it then be considered work ? Under UC or would it still just be part of my course and not count I'm very confused
If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate them thanks 


  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Oooh sound like a fun course!! <3 Unfortunately if you're in paid work, even if it's part of your course, it'll be treated as earnings by UC. So the work allowance and then taper will apply. Do you know how much you're expected to earn from the placement @saram?? 
  • saram
    saram Community member Posts: 45 Connected
    No idea yet it won't be happening till next year I just want to be prepared for what it will be like 
    Thanks for your help 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.