General Election 2024: What are the biggest issues you're facing? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

General Election 2024: What are the biggest issues you're facing?

Options
Tori_Scope
Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger

Hi all :) Happy New Year! I hope you're all as well as can be.

2024 is set to be a big year. It'll bring a general election (probably nearer the end of the year), and more opportunities for our voices to be heard.

We’re writing a manifesto ahead of the general election. It'll cover a range of issues disabled people and carers have told us they're facing. And outline how the next government can address these issues.

Vote on which issues matter most to you today to have your say. And get a sneak preview of what we think the next Government should prioritise.

We'll send it to political parties once it's finished so that they know what changes they need to make if elected. 

I'll be sure to post here with more opportunities to get involved with this campaign, too. So keep your eyes peeled!

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,697 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    All done. :)

I found that I favoured more opportunities i.e. work and attitudes, and fairer treatment by the system, rather than just being given more money (which I still wouldn't turn down if offered). I appreciate every disabled person's situation is different though, maybe I am fortunate in that work is a (distant) future possibility for me.
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    Thanks @66Mustang! That makes sense :) It's worth saying that our policy positions are of course more nuanced than what we've outlined in the above action. But you're right that people in different situations can definitely have different priorities. 

Do you think there are any spaces where attitudes towards disability particularly need to change? Such as education, employment, media etc. Just purely out of interest! No pressure to answer :) 

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,697 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I want to say everywhere, just in general life. I think it should be normalised (I think that's a word) in the sense that people don't even consider a disability as a characteristic of an individual, unless the disability is relevant to the particular situation?

In other words...a disabled and non-disabled person should be considered the same, unless in a situation where any discrimination is positive, say, the disabled person having assistance with something they struggle with.

I don't know if it makes sense, or if others even agree, just thinking out loud and just my opinion. :)
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,830 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Happy new year to you @Tori_Scope I've put my vote in Mariam emailed me. Good luck with your campaigns
  • Meg24
    Meg24 Community member Posts: 37 Pioneering
    edited January 15
    Options
    I want the WCA changes to be scrapped and LCWRA not to be tied to receiving PIP. Also UC rates to be brought in line with current legacy rates to remove the horrendous problem of the erosion of transistional protection which will see us so much worse off in just a few years. As it stands, if the Tory's plans are put into practice I will not be able to claim LCWRA when I am reassessed (which we all will be at some point, see benefitsandwork) and I will not be able to afford to pay my rent contribution on the home I have lived in for 16 years. I also will not be able to afford my dogs. Losing my home and my only companions will destroy me, I will not survive it. The WCA changes will mean I will not be found to have LCWRA, even though I have been in the support group for 15 years. This is not just a pressing issue for me, it is life or death.
  • IrishManc
    IrishManc Community member Posts: 56 Pioneering
    Options
    Having been diagnosed with autism later in life at 51 in 2021, I was shocked to discover how little adult autism support there is out there, because all of the public and private supports that is out there not only requires a GP referral (even for private autism support) and is almost entirely focused on children, which gets the lions share of autism funding, where disability in general is the poor relation when it comes to funding, especially for hidden disabilities like autism and even at the most basic level, post-diagnostic assessments on a case-by-case basis to determine appropriate adult autism support urgently needs to become a basic legal entitlement and requirement, which must happen ASAP - the very fact that most appropriate adult autism supports, whether public or private, including this and other websites, are almost entirely online (just like my diagnosis) is totally unacceptable and will lead to most serious consequences in the coming years and decades, as more people are diagnosed with autism later in life - those in power have a serious ethical and moral responsibility and duty to do the right thing regarding disabled people and their uncaring and discriminatory attitudes must be robustly and seriously challenged at every level, including here in Manchester - as an older Irish gay man, I’m very much aware of how in partnership with those on the left, the LGBT community struggled for rights, equality and acceptance and we as disabled people must do the same in the post Covid era, just like gay men did in the aftermath of HIV/AIDS - I have posted another comment elsewhere on this website and aside from my own situation, what motivates me is my Irish Catholic faith, regardless of who wins the next election in my 21 years living here in the U.K. and in Manchester 
  • IrishManc
    Options
    Thanks @66Mustang! That makes sense :) It's worth saying that our policy positions are of course more nuanced than what we've outlined in the above action. But you're right that people in different situations can definitely have different priorities. 

Do you think there are any spaces where attitudes towards disability particularly need to change? Such as education, employment, media etc. Just purely out of interest! No pressure to answer :) 
    As an older Irish gay man and a devout Irish Catholic in Manchester 21 years, robustly and consistently challenging at every level, all discriminatory attitudes, practices, behaviours towards disabled people, including those with hidden disabilities like autism must become an absolute priority and the best way to achieve this is by reviewing all current disability legislation with a view to massively strengthening it, providing for better ways to enforce it, not leaving it all on the disabled or thier carers to have to fight for their rights and also providing for far greater penalties for non-compliance (which itself is an act of discrimation and prejudice against disabled people) - those in power must be made to take their ethical and moral responsibilities and obligations to disabled people far more seriously and any acts of prejudice or discrimation towards disabled people must be seen as far more socially unacceptable than there are currently 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,670 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My big wish for the election when it comes and I suspect that will be September is that the Tories lose so badly that they will be out of power for a decade or more, it appears that the failed PM now Lord Cameron is all but deputy PM now what a joke.
    That said the big issue for the election will be what has been the cost of living crisis people won't forgive or forget that no matter how this lot spin it they have been to blame for most of what we have suffered, 14 years of austerity, followed by high inflation and continuing high interest rates.
    I'm not daft enough to believe that Labour will be better at everything but they can only be better than what we have now.
    I hope the election as we get nearer becomes something we can discuss here and more to the point can enjoy discussing.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• bookrabbit
    bookrabbit Community member Posts: 196 Pioneering
    Options
    Housing is definitely my biggest concern. Landlords aren't supposed to reject people because of benefits but they do, and estate agents prescreen people so I can't even get a viewing!

I was very surprised to see it wasn't on your list of concerns.

I also think there ought to be targeted support for people who struggle with communication to help with getting housing. I can't use a telephone which has made a difficult process just about inconceivable. I am alternating between complete despair and focusing on one tiny step at a time in a process where it seems there is an almost infinite number of steps but a concretely finite time to complete them in and the two simply are not compatible.
  • IrishManc
    Options
    Housing is definitely my biggest concern. Landlords aren't supposed to reject people because of benefits but they do, and estate agents prescreen people so I can't even get a viewing!

I was very surprised to see it wasn't on your list of concerns.

I also think there ought to be targeted support for people who struggle with communication to help with getting housing. I can't use a telephone which has made a difficult process just about inconceivable. I am alternating between complete despair and focusing on one tiny step at a time in a process where it seems there is an almost infinite number of steps but a concretely finite time to complete them in and the two simply are not compatible.
    Housing here in the U.K. is a major issue - when I first moved here to the U.K. and to Manchester in 2002, I recall the (Labour controlled) council not only telling people that they had to move away from the concept of council housing and social housing, all the while they were rezoning, selling off council land to private developers and not even trying to build new council houses, while people were encouraged to buy their council houses in “buy to let” and “shared ownership” schemes which the former tenants later on (unwittingly) sold to private slum landlords where former council houses in entire former council housing blocks were turned into one bedroom bedsits (6 or 7 bedsits per former council house) leaving tenants at the mercy of private landlords who totally ignore their legal obligations to provide affordable social housing - regardless of who is in power, these detrimental and destructive housing policies must be robustly challenged at every level and housing law, including landlord and tenant law, is currently a complete joke - all governments are incredibly hypocritical when it comes to disabled people, including in areas of housing policies and it is coming from prejudice and discrimination against disabled people - call me cynical, but I have no faith whatsoever in governments to do the right things when it comes to disabled people and this is the primary reason that all governments must be robustly challenged at every level and on every area of policy that affects disabled people, every step of the way, regardless of who is in power, because none of them can ever be trusted to do the right thing - the situation for disabled people is much worse in my native Ireland due to high levels of political corruption, but here in the U.K. this situation is doubly unacceptable 
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    That does make sense @66Mustang :) And I'm sure others feel the same. Thanks for sharing!

• Tori_Scope
    Options
    Happy New Year @Sandy_123! That's great, thanks so much :) We'll be in touch with another action for you to take soon 

• Tori_Scope
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that with us @Meg24 :) We know that disability benefits are a huge topic, and that many are feeling really scared about the proposed changes. We agree that the disability benefit system needs to work for disabled people, and that it doesn't always right now. We can't change it all overnight, but we'll continue fighting with you to improve the system

• Tori_Scope
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your points around support for adults with autism @IrishManc :) It's incredibly frustrating when people fail to realise that disabled children can become disabled adults. And that adults need support too! Especially with conditions like autism which, as you say, can be less visible. I've also come across people with the attitude that autistic children will "grow out" of their autism in adult life sigh

This isn't something we're likely to be lazer focused on I don't think, just as we're a pan disability charity and don't tend to focus too much on health care. But some of our work around changing attitudes might cover some of the issues you've raised. And you can always check out other organisations, like the National Autistic Society, who do more work in this space too

• Tori_Scope
    Options
    Thanks for sharing @woodbine :) I hope you're getting on okay! It'll definitely be interesting to see how conversations around cost of living support progress 

• Tori_Scope
    Options
    Thanks for raising that @bookrabbit! I know that housing can be a major issue for disabled people. From landlords rejecting benefit claimants, to a lack of accessible housing. It's not one of our policy areas at the moment, unfortunately, which is why it wasnt on the list. That doesn't mean we don't think it's important, though, just that we can't tackle everything at once. Some other organisations like Shelter, Disability Rights UK, and Habinteg do some work in this space, if it's of interest to you. And some of our other work, like improving attitudes towards disabled people, could have a positive knock on effect. 

And I hope you manage to get through the process in the end! It can be a total nightmare at the best of times

• onlymeagain
    onlymeagain Community member Posts: 35 Connected
    Options
    Meg24 said:
    I want the WCA changes to be scrapped and LCWRA not to be tied to receiving PIP. Also UC rates to be brought in line with current legacy rates to remove the horrendous problem of the erosion of transistional protection which will see us so much worse off in just a few years. As it stands, if the Tory's plans are put into practice I will not be able to claim LCWRA when I am reassessed (which we all will be at some point, see benefitsandwork) and I will not be able to afford to pay my rent contribution on the home I have lived in for 16 years. I also will not be able to afford my dogs. Losing my home and my only companions will destroy me, I will not survive it. The WCA changes will mean I will not be found to have LCWRA, even though I have been in the support group for 15 years. This is not just a pressing issue for me, it is life or death.
    I haven't heard of LCWRA being tied with PIP before. My middle son is on LCWRA but doesn't receive PIP.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,670 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Meg24 said:
    I haven't heard of LCWRA being tied with PIP before. My middle son is on LCWRA but doesn't receive PIP.
    does he have care and/or mobility issues ? if so he should look into claiming PIP.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• onlymeagain
    onlymeagain Community member Posts: 35 Connected
    Options
    woodbine said:
    Meg24 said:
    does he have care and/or mobility issues ? if so he should look into claiming PIP.
    He gets High Care and Low Mobility on DLA. He would be entitled to High Mobility if on PIP. I keep thinking of asking them to transfer him (He is 26 this year) but not sure if I want the hassle of having to reapply every few years.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    woodbine said:
    Meg24 said:
    He gets High Care and Low Mobility on DLA. He would be entitled to High Mobility if on PIP. I keep thinking of asking them to transfer him (He is 26 this year) but not sure if I want the hassle of having to reapply every few years.
    Heya.
    Try asking for help in order to do the entire claim form properly. Citizens Advice have a lot of quite helpful information on their own website in question here. Or perhaps you can use other good online resources like turn2us and BenefitsandWork site too. Good luck. 

Be honest. Call or email first thing in the morning to request information and tips on what to write on the form. If you have any photo copies of letters from any specialists attach them to the actual form. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.