Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

How is your day going?

Options

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,724 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

I'm good thanks @Ada 😃

I know what you mean about dogs, my Dad does lets Jenson stop and sniff stuff usually but if he wants to stop again after like 3 yards he does pull him along 😆

• Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member Posts: 24,170 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Hi @Ada Sorry your tummy is still painful. Walking for two hours seems a very long time are you ok? Take care.

• Schildpad
    Schildpad Community member Posts: 26 Courageous
    Options

I am on a new medication and not sure what to think. Positives is i sleep better. Strangely enough I wake up eight hours later. So go to bed at 10 ish and wake up at 6 ish. But just starting.. this medication is called venlafaxine xl 37.5 mg. Do anybody take this medication. Also in mirtazapine 45 mg the later one Been on for ages. But feel weird.

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 5,424 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

It turned out my antidepressants were the major cause of the restless legs in the end, something about too much serotonin in my system causing it apparently? Apparently many antidepressants aren't very good for neurodiverse people, they tend not to work as well.
    It does effect my mental health a smidge, but that's mostly from not sleeping as much during the first few weeks of tapering off the meds. But it's worth it in the long run for sure, I got 5 hours sleep last night! I'm not off them for a year, just a few months, then back on for a year or so.

Not medical advice of course, just my experiences. 😊

Hope the stomach ache eases off soon!

Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • noman
    noman Community member Posts: 733 Pioneering
    Options

I used to be on mirtazapine but always made me feel sick and light headed,am now on sertraline and feel much better.

• Schildpad
    Options

Also i feel it is getting harder to get food in the supermarket. I was in Lidl and either the people in charge forgot to replenish the shelves or not sure what happened. I needed for things and they were about to get expired. I am not sure really. I hope it is not the case for every supermarket. I am very worry about money so I believe it is one of the cheapest supermarkets but every time I go there. I find it more and more expensive.

• Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 8,224 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

@Ada
    Well done you gettin out a good walk glad you have your walker to take rests on. I sd earlier but you might’ve made sec it maybe with you not eating a lot the meds are to heavy on your stomach as a lot off tablets do that.
    Aww I will definitely msg the doctor tomorrow if my chest feels the same way it’s really tight feeling, sorry lately all I’ve done is go on about feeling rubbish.

@66Mustang
    Thank you my son in law done all my flooring for me when I got the keys to my house, I was just about to move when lockdown hit so had to wait nearly 2 months to get in. So once restrictions eased a little he came and done it all for me.

❤️

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 3,132 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

I did do one exciting thing this week @Ada, I went to Kew Gardens to see the Titan Arum corpse flower. It only blooms for about 24 hours every few years and I had a discounted ticket, so I thought I'd pop down to see it while it lasted. Funny looking thing and smells like rotting flesh (apparently! I don't know what rotting flesh smells like!)

Tonic water is such an acquired taste, it's very bitter if you're not used to it! I didn't used to like it but I do now. I think it's high in Quinine, that might be the thing that helps some people with RL.

Rosie (she/her)

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,724 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

@Ada are you talking about Quinine? That's what's in tonic water

This article might be useful, and might explain why the doctor won't let you have it

https://www.gov.uk/drug-safety-update/quinine-not-to-be-used-routinely-for-nocturnal-leg-cramps

Under the NHS constitution, I think doctors are supposed to offer some kind of alternative when they turn down treatment though, I don't think they are meant to just say "no" without offering anything

• Lou67
    Options

@Rosie_Scope
    Aww that’s amazing and great you got to see it. There was a kids film out years ago and a man and woman were watching their neighbours kid, they had a big garden party going on all the neighbours were there and he had a flower that was about to bloom and it only happened every so many years.
    Needless to say there was carnage the man missed it opening and everywhere was wrecked. Mr Wilson was the man’s name oh I’m annoyed I can’t remember the name off the film, hopefully someone can lol

• Lou67
    Options

@Ada
    I think if you tried to eat even half a sandwich before your meds are due might help your stomach.
    I had asked my doctor to up my RL tablets but because I was also having leg pain he upped my pregablin he sd they would help both. And since I’ve been put up I feel a lot less pain in my legs.
    This is also only my experience and you could maybe talk to your doctor about it.
    I don’t know how you cope with it all as be on a heap on the floor.

❤️

• Schildpad
    Options

For me in an ideal world I would love to be with no medication at all. I feel It is doing more harm than good . It will take a while to stop them and I think benefit people do not really like if you do not take any medication. I would love to change it all for a more natural way. Getting better and try to work until my retirement age. Not sure . It is far away. Like more than 15 years. But it is better said than done.

• Schildpad
    Options

My experience tells me that medicines work until they don't. I have been in a few some awful some better but at some point they stop working. I wonder if gong in more natural way will be better. But I doubt it. I try CBD oil and again it work until it doesn't. You need to keep increasing the dosage.. and it is not cheap.. my new medicine will work until it won't. It is a vicious circle. Then they Increased the dosage and again . When the dosage is not working anymore or it is high enough. No higher dose. They change the medication or they combine it with something else you are having. I am getting tired.

• Rosie_Scope
    Options

@Lou67 It started blooming while I was working last week and I thought it would be finished by the time I got there, but I got lucky that it was still open on my next day off! I'm glad I went in the end!

I think it might be the Dennis the Menace film you're talking about. I haven't seen it but it has the scene you're describing with the 40 year orchid. I love those kids action films from the 80s and 90s, they're a lot of fun.

Rosie (she/her)

• Lou67
    Options

@Rosie_Scope
    Ahhhh yes that’s it oh you must trying watch it it’s hilarious 😆 oh I’m so glad you got the name off it it was starting to drive me nuts 😂
    I’m so glad you got to see it Rosie things like that don’t happen often.

❤️

• Marydoll5
    Marydoll5 Community member Posts: 436 Pioneering
    Options

@Schildpad I am on venlafaxine maximum dose of 375mg daily. It works really well. I had to be taken off mirtazapine as it wrecked my kidney function. I'm also on a mood stabiliser but it's not used as that any more. My cpn was meant to get consultant to review my meds but she quit and 6 months later still no appointment! State of mental health services in the North of Ireland is shambolic.

I agree with you that you get tolerance to meds and they don't work as well. I never seem to get yearly reviews as gp is so pushed with workload. I'm on butrans patch for spinal pain and it doesn't work as well as it did. I am trying to strengthen my abdominal muscles and walk to help my spine but if I do too much I'm flat out on my back for days. It's a vicious circle!

• Marydoll5
    Marydoll5 Community member Posts: 436 Pioneering
    Options

@Ada maybe even as lou67 says a wee bit of food taking your meds. That's a great walk and Betty has the best owner ever ❤️

@Lou67 duvet day is exactly what you need. Hope your chest pain eases and cold too

@Rosie_Scope that was an experience seeing the plant in Kew gardens. Its on my list to visit in London along with the Science museum naturally me being an ex scientist

• Rosie_Scope
    Options

Hope you get a chance to go one day @Marydoll5, it's beautiful there. I love the Science Museum too. I haven't been for a long time, but I'm hoping to go back some time soon!

Rosie (she/her)

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 55,023 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

rest for me now we've been in the garden for a few hours, the family have just left to go for a walk, I refused. Happy with the peace and a coffee

• Rosie_Scope
    Options

Enjoy your well-earned peace and quiet @Sandy_123, that sounds ideal 😊

Rosie (she/her)

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.