CHILD LEAVING SCHOOL — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

CHILD LEAVING SCHOOL

Options
SHIRLEYELIZABETH
SHIRLEYELIZABETH Community member Posts: 8 Listener
HI MY SON WHO IS 18 IS LEAVING SCHOOL IN JUNE AT THE MOMENT HE GETS PIP BOTH ENHANCED RATES AND I GET TAX CREDIT AND CARERS ALLOWANCE HE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO WORK AS HIS AUTISM AND LEARNING IS SEVERE CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT I AS HIS APPOINTEE CAN CLAIM IN BENEFITS FOR HIM 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,560 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Once he leaves full time education you will need to report the changes to Tax credits (if you're still claiming it at the time) and your Tax credits for him will stop. Same applies for child benefit.

He will then be able to claim Universal Credit in his own right. Although you are his appointee for his PIP, this will not apply to UC and you will need to go through being is appointee again because they are different benefits.

What you can do is claim UC on his behalf as if you are him. Once the claim is up and running and you have access to a journal, put a message onto that and ask to become his appointee. Someone will then contact you to arrange this to be put into place.

You will need to make sure you report his health condition and provide a fit note within 7 days of that. You must continue to provide fit notes without any gaps until a decision is made on a work capability assessment. Once he's referred you will be sent the UC50 form to fill in and return.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.