Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Advice on benefits

Options
debs53
debs53 Community member Posts: 20 Connected
Hi all. I'm being dismissed from work the 8/2 due to ill health.. I'm on UC and lcwra element.. my ssp will run out after the next 4weeks. Is there anything else I can claim. I privately rent a house which takes up most my monthly income.. I'm trying to get a council flat to help with cost 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,976 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Unless you live in Scotland you can look at claiming PIP (ADP is Scotland). It's a disability benefit but whether there's any entitlement will depend on how your conditions affect you. It's not awarded based on any diagnosis, or your ability to work. Some information in the links provided here.

There's also council tax reduction which can be claimed from your local Authority.

New style ESA if you have the correct NI contributions in tax years 2021/22 and 2022/23. However, you won't be financially better off by claiming it because it's deducted in full from any UC entitlement. You can claim it now but you won't receive any payments until your SSP has ended.

Although you won't be financially better off it's still worth while claiming it if entitled to it. It's not means tested like UC so can be useful in the future perhaps.

Other than that i'm afraid there's no other benefits.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • debs53
    Options
    Thank you.. silly question what does means tested mean?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,976 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's not a silly question at all. It means that savings/capital of more than £6,000 will affect the amount of UC you're entitled to. For savings of more than £16,000 there's no entitlement to any means tested benefits. Weekly/month income from a pension will also affect UC and reduce it £1 for £1.

For New style ESA because it's not means tested then you can have all of those and it will make no difference to the amount you're entitled to. With the exception of a pension, anything up to £85/week is ignored. For every £1 over that amount your ESA is reduced by 50p/week.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • debs53
    Options
    Thank you again. I'll look into the ESA
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.