UC and spare bedroom question — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC and spare bedroom question

Options
lillipeth
lillipeth Community member Posts: 41 Courageous
Hi hope everyone is having a nice evening. I have a question on what I think is called house element (it’s paid with the uc and lcwra) I now get PIP and I’ve being wondering if we can get the extra bedroom money. (Sorry I got fibro fog and can’t word this properly) I know if you have an overnight carer you can which I don’t but I have to sleep in a separate room to my partner because of being of being up
and down at night because of pain etc. Could anyone tell me please. Thank you very much 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,768 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    So are you paying bedroom tax because you have two bedrooms but you think you shouldn't be paying as you use both, is either of the bedrooms under 63 sq.feet (wouldn't be classed as a bedroom if it was)
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,880 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes, it is possible to claim for an extra bedroom but there's no guarantee. As your rent is included with your UC then you can ask about this with a message on your journal.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • lillipeth
    Options
    Thank you Poppy 
  • lillipeth
    Options
    Just to add an update as it might help someone else. I was sent a message in my journal with a link, filled it in explaining the situation and today I got a letter on the journal saying I have been awarded it. This was in south Wales. So if you are in a similar situation do ask because it does happen. 
    No idea how much or if it’s back dated so can’t tell you that, sorry 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.