What's your favourite comfort food or drink? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What's your favourite comfort food or drink?

Options
Rosie_Scope
Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,412 Scope online community team
If you had no restrictions on your diet, what would be your go-to comfort meal or drink? 

I have a weird combination that comes from my childhood. I should probably apologise to the entire population of Italy before I say this, but it's pasta (preferably bow shaped!), peas and broccoli with chunks of cheddar cheese and salad cream. Sometimes with tinned kidney beans in the mix. I blame my mum for allowing me to create this monstrosity when I was little. But if I'm feeling a bit rubbish and my diet isn't restrictive, it's my first choice for comfort food!

Another one is a bowl of salty oven chips and a dippy egg to dip them in. Mmmmm.

For drinks I think it's probably hot chocolate, can't beat it!

What are yours?
Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Tagged:

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,865 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I love food and drink, probably more than most, one of my favourite things, but honestly I don't tend to turn to it for comfort. I like to be in a good frame of mind so I can appreciate food, even a simple bowl of baked beans or something.

Sorry for the boring/deviating answer :D 
  • Rosie_Scope
    Options
    Not at all @66Mustang, that makes a lot of sense! Love a good bowl of beans too :)
    Rosie (she/her)

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 21,214 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 22
    Options
    Dippy egg and toast. My mum used to do this if I was ill. Still love it.
  • Ada
    Ada Scope Member Posts: 15,056 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 22
    Options
    Not had it for many years. But proper at the cafe. East End pie ( veg pie) mash and liquor. It’s impossible to make that exact liquor. And I’m not a E. Ender. 
    Or salad sandwich but can’t have bread and nice crispy salad. 

Fav drink grapefruit juice with lemonade and ginger. 
    But due to certain meds I’m not allowed grapefruit juice or orange juice 

• THE_DUDE
    THE_DUDE Community member Posts: 208 Pioneering
    Options
    these two are my grumpy mood food
  • Rosie_Scope
    Options
    Dippy eggs are always a joy @Beaver79! So comforting.

Mmm, sounds delicious @Ada. I've often got restrictions going on to manage my conditions too. It's frustrating not to be able to eat or drink the things you love, but I still love dreaming about food!
    Rosie (she/her)

• Rosie_Scope
    Options
    Definitely a good combo, @THE_DUDE, always had a lot of love for some spaghetti hoops! 
    Rosie (she/her)

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,749 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Full roast dinner with all the trimmings with a glass of decent wine
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 568 Pioneering
    edited January 22
    Options
    Well @Rosie_Scope I think your diet sounds lovely (except for the kidney beans). Next time I go shopping I will buy some salad cream and give it a whirl! 

My comfort food, being a true working class Londoner, is pie, mash and green liquor. Sadly I no longer have pie and mash shops in my neighbourhood and I have to buy it frozen (Cook's brand, from Sainsbury's, its not too bad).

My other comfort food is chips with gravy. Whenever I get down I make a plate of chips and some thick gravy. I love mashing the chips into the gravy with a lot of salt. I cannot recall how this came to be my comfort food, it just is.

As for drinks, provided its got alcohol in it, I am not unduly fussed!
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,802 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I second that with the roast @woodbine
    I love a fish finger sandwhich with lettuce and tartar sauce too. Drinks I love my coffees and tea and mainly only have water .
  • Rosie_Scope
    edited January 22
    Options
    Lovely @woodbine, a roast always hits the spot. 

Sounds tasty @Steve_in_The_City! I don't know how I've got this far into my life without trying chips and gravy but I'll have to give it a go some time! 

I used to put salad cream on absolutely everything when I was little, that's how it ended up on pasta. I'm not as obsessed with it now, but that weird pasta combo stuck with me and it's always been comforting. I suppose it's a bit like a warm pasta salad in a way. 

My partner loves fish finger sandwiches, @Sandy_123. What a classic :)
    Rosie (she/her)

• Ada
    Options
    Well @Rosie_Scope I think your diet sounds lovely (except for the kidney beans). Next time I go shopping I will buy some salad cream and give it a whirl! 

My comfort food, being a true working class Londoner, is pie, mash and green liquor. Sadly I no longer have pie and mash shops in my neighbourhood and I have to buy it frozen (Cook's brand, from Sainsbury's, its not too bad).

My other comfort food is chips with gravy. Whenever I get down I make a plate of chips and some thick gravy. I love mashing the chips into the gravy with a lot of salt. I cannot recall how this came to be my comfort food, it just is.

As for drinks, provided its got alcohol in it, I am not unduly fussed!
    Look above mine was the same @Steve_in_The_City
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,865 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Ada said:
    Not had it for many years. But proper at the cafe. East End pie ( veg pie) mash and liquor. It’s impossible to make that exact liquor. And I’m not a E. Ender. 
    My Dad was introduced to pie pash and liquor at the age of 50!!!! He said it was very nice.

He was taken to an old fashioned pie and mash shop in the East End by colleague who was a through and through EastEnder. The colleague told him in very certain terms before he went in, you ask for pie mash and liquor, don't embarrass me and ask for gravy or anything else. :D 
  • Ada
    Options
  • Autism_at_40
    Autism_at_40 Community member Posts: 724 Pioneering
    Options
    I love a good roast dinner.  But I also love to have something salty, so salty crisps or chips.

• Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 568 Pioneering
    Options
    @Ada I did see your post but didn't comment because I didn't know you could get a veggie pie in a pie & mash shop and I got confused! But you are right. You can't replicate the taste of the liquor. I think it is possibly made with the eel cooking water. I have tried to make it at home but to no avail. I have a feeling you wouldn't like jellied eels? I used to fish for them when I was a teenager. They are dead easy to catch. But I cannot recall what happened to them after catching them. I wouldn't have fished for them unless there was some ulterior motive that did someone some good somewhere down the line. Obviously, it did the eels no favours!

@Rosie_Scope I too was fixated with salad cream when I was a lad, especially cheese and salad cream sarnies! But somehow over the years salad cream came off the shopping list. I am going to buy some and mix it with a dollop of creme fraiche to temper the flavour and mix it with pasta, frozen garden peas and cheese or smoked pancetta or both. I think it will taste nice.

@66Mustang I am glad your Dad enjoyed his pie & mash. It is not to everyone's taste. The East End used to be full of Pie & Mash shops, but alas no more. I live in The City/Shoreditch. It is very East End but not a pie & mash shop in sight. However, we do have excellent fish & chip shops!

• Ada
    Options
  • Rosie_Scope
    Options
    Ooh that sounds like a delicious combo @Steve_in_The_City, enjoy!
    Rosie (she/her)

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,513 Scope online community team
    Options
    Your salad cream pasta is very similar to my old student meals @Steve_in_The_City, though it was Tesco value ham.  :D 

Whenever I'm feeling down, I find a plate of beans on toast, with a dash of Lee and Perrins and grated cheese is my go to.  Perfect comfort eating. 
    Albus (he/him)

Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Ollyoyster
    Ollyoyster Community member Posts: 348 Pioneering
    Options
    Strawberry jam on brown bread with wotsits,,, i know everyone says urrgh,, but its my little stodgy fix when i camt be bothered making anything,,,  

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.