All very confusing... — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

All very confusing...

Options
ScruffyBeard545
ScruffyBeard545 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello everybody, my name is Steven, I'm 44 years old and come from Stockport.👋

I've been reading the threads here to try and suss out if I will be entitled to any back pay from lcwra but I can't find anyone with the same circumstances (extremely possible that I've been looking in the wrong places), so I thought I would just ask 🙂

I'm not sure how far back I need to go here, but I first claimed UC in July 2020 after a leg break.

Our UC claim was accepted and in march 21 I  was assessed as being in the lcw group and told that I no longer needed fit notes. I had a few telephone appointments, followed by one in-person meeting with a work coach after COVID restrictions started to lift, and then nothing at all from them.

In July 21, I had osteomyelitis and had to have more surgery, so I tried for pip. I ended up fighting them for 16 months and won higher rate for both at tribunal until July 25. 

Within days of winning the pip tribunal In October 2022, I received a new uc50 form, which I filled in and sent back asap. In November 22 I started being asked for fit notes again. 
I supplied fit notes for November and December 22 but I also queried it on my journal and they said it was switched back on by mistake somehow and as I was already lcw I didn't need to provide any more. They acknowledged that I had sent back the UC 50 form and told me that they would contact me if I needed another assessment.

Cool. 

Fast forward to 2024. I finally got to have an assessment on the 3rd of January this year, and the resulting decision puts me into the lcwra. 

So I'm trying to work out, firstly whether or not I will be entitled to anything at all, as the last assessment wasn't at my request and I was already lcw. 

If I am entitled to back pay, would that go back to the uc50 in October 22? Or the fit notes from November and December 22? Or does the waiting period start from the decision date in Jan 24? 

I'm properly confused about it all 🥴

I know there's some big gaps in my timeline but I suffer a lot with nerve pain and I'm sort of a -put your head down and crack on until there's an obstacle- type person, so things like 14 months between questionnaire and assessment aren't really a thing until they become a thing, if that makes any sense at all lol. 

If you made it this far without falling asleep,  congratulations! If you can help me suss out what's what, I will appreciate it.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,394 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If the review was started by UC then the extra money will be paid from the assessment period in which the decision was made.

If you reported changes to your health condition by reporting a change of circumstances, which propmted them to refer you for another WCA then it will be from the assessment period where you reported the changes. However, if you did report changes then i would have expected you to need to provide fit notes for this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ScruffyBeard545
    ScruffyBeard545 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Ah, ok then. So there won't be any back pay and I won't get any extra money until march/April, if I understand you properly.  I'm pretty sure that I never actually requested the reassessment, so I guess it's tough luck 🙈 

Thank you for your help! 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,394 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It won't be from March or April. It will be from the assessment period in which the decision was made. What date was the decision made and what dates do your assessment periods cover? Or what date do you usually receive your money each month.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.