I’m Tired of Being an Activist Out of Necessity — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I’m Tired of Being an Activist Out of Necessity

Options
cozyplants
cozyplants Scope Member Posts: 44 Courageous
Being disabled forces us to see inequality. It forces us to see inequality because, so often, we are on the receiving end of it. And so often, we have to advocate for our fundamental rights: healthcare, safety, respect, and life. We become activists speaking up for the rights of disabled people - campaigning, complaining, and sometimes just existing as an act of resistance as we live in a world so often trying to segregate us, neglect us, and take away our rights. 

It's exhausting.

It's exhausting navigating a world that's not designed for me and is often desperately shying away from accessibility. It's exhausting playing the role of 'the good disabled person' - someone who doesn't complain, is an 'inspiration', isn't angry or sad, and fits into what the world expects of me. It's exhausting fighting against systems that would like me not to be seen, heard, or to be here.

I became an activist out of necessity. Out of fear. Out of anger. Out of a need to survive. 
What is most difficult to come to terms with is that I know I'm not the only one.

Comments

• Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    Options
    @cozyplants You are so right. Don't let the system get you down. Just truck on and all is well in the end.
  • gogigi
    gogigi Scope Member Posts: 20 Connected
    Options
  • Audinut70
    Audinut70 Community member Posts: 133 Pioneering
    edited January 23
    Options
    @cozyplants You are so right. Don't let the system get you down. Just truck on and all is well in the end.
    I really wish that was the case. My last 2 assessments have ended with me fighting to prove my case. They closed my claim. My claim expires in July, and I'm already anxious about getting the assessment/review forms, and that is 'if' I get them. I contacted them to ask if I would need to make a new claim, or if it would be another assessment/review, and they just told me to wait until the end of may.
     I suppose this comment is correct in the sense things came good in the end, but at a much higher cost (mental health/fatigue) than should be necessary.
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,280 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @cozyplants, thanks for sharing your thoughts. It is exhausting and frustrating that all this work is still necessary in this day and age.

I don't have any particular advice to share, but I hope the community offers some comfort and solidarity. Sounds cheesy, but we are always stronger together :)
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.