"Credits only" ESA claim — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

"Credits only" ESA claim

Options
Ariana
Ariana Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi all. I was receiving IR ESA between 2016-2020, at which point I moved in with my partner and because of his income, was no longer eligible for ESA payments. They did however say they'd keep my claim open and my NICs would continue to be paid (apparently this is called a 'credits only' claim).

I started part-time self-employment in 2022, but I didn't contact the DWP to let them know. I know now that I should have done, but to be honest, I was confused about where I stood with my claim and had no letters from them since 2020, so I didn't realise I was meant to.

I've just called them and they said I need to fill in a Permitted Work form. I do still have limited capability for work and am working less than 16 hours a week, so think I'm still eligible for this credits only claim. But I'm worried they could penalise me for not letting them know about my self-employment for the last 2 years. Any advice?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,648 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 23
    Options
    A credits only claim isn't an actual claim in itself. I wouldn't worry too much. Just be honest with them.

Having said that, have you checked entitlement to Universal Credit? If you were in the Support Group then you'll be entitled to the LCWRA element of UC from the start of your claim. You will also be entitled to the work allowance, which means you and your partner can receive a certain amount of earnings each month before the 55% deductions apply.

If you claim for help with the rent it will be £379/month. If you don't it will be £631/month. It would be work using a benefits calculator to check entitlement. As UC is means tested if you have savings/capital of more than £16,000 you're excluded from claiming.

You would need to claim as a couple too so make sure you put both your details into the calculator. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ariana
    Ariana Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Thank you @poppy123456 - I appreciate your advice.

I'm not eligible for any other means tested benefits as between me and my partner, we have over the savings threshold. I was getting PIP, but they wanted to reassess me (a year earlier than they said they would) and having been through the wringer with the benefits system, I couldn't face the stress of it, even with help. Sad and frustrating that it comes to this for so many, but it was the best decision for me and my wellbeing.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.