Migration to UC and disabilities — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Migration to UC and disabilities

Ikonik Community member Posts: 60 Connected
edited January 24 in Universal Credit (UC)
At the moment we get tax credits for our 17 year old who is at college. He has highest disability tax credit payment. My husband also gets a tax credit payment as he has PIP 
We have to move to Universal credit by April.
Should be claim Universal Credit now or wait a while? My son leaves college in March. 
Will my husband lose his current  disability tax credit payment? I'm thinking it would be best to claim now before our son leaves college ? 
Or would we be protected due to migration. ? 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,289 Disability Gamechanger
    When you claim UC your Tax credits will end and that includes everything as well as the disabled tax credits. This doesn't exist for UC.

    If your husbands health condition limits his capability to work then he will need to report his health condition, supported by a fit note within 7 days of that. He will need to make sure he continues to provide fit notes without any gaps until a decision is made on the work capability assessment. He will then be referred for a work capability assessment usually around day 29 of your claim. 

    You will only be entitled to transitional protection if your UC entitlement is less than your Tax Credits. 

    Is your son leaving full time education in March or is he returning for exams?

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.