Hi, my name is krenee! Due to inherit over £16k, will I lose my benefits? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is krenee! Due to inherit over £16k, will I lose my benefits?

krenee Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited January 26 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi, looking for advice , I’m currently on universal credit for low income and single parent. I’m due to inherit some money (above £16,000) and been told I will lose all my benefits. Ideally I wanted to use the money to move house or at least buy my ex partner out… is there anyway I can do this or use the inheritance without losing my benefits?


  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 3,930 Scope online community team
    Hey there @krenee and welcome to the community. :)

    Unfortunately inheriting money will count as savings.  You can still move house or buy your ex partner out, then if it's below £16k, you could put in a new claim? You benefit wont be effected when under £6k of savings, but anything between 6k and £16k will lower the amount you receive.  It's not ideal I know. 
    Albus (he/him)

    Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,926 Disability Gamechanger
    Unfortunately in these circumstances there’s no disregard for your inheritance even if you use it to buy a property. 

    If you have any debts you can pay those off without it affecting your UC. However, you will still need to report the changes and tell them that you used some or part of it to pay some debt off. 

    If you’re also claiming council tax reduction then you’ll need to report the changes to your local authority because your CTR will also stop. If you’re claiming single person discount this won’t be affected. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.