Grants to help me learn to drive. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Grants to help me learn to drive.

Options
JE466Q
JE466Q Scope Member Posts: 6 Listener
edited January 26 in Transport and travel
Any one no of any grants to help with learning to drive really struggling just wanna be able to do things for my kids without relying on my mum 

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,379 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi there @JE466Q and welcome to the community. :)

There do seem to be grants for help with driving, can I just ask if you have a disability? I can have a look for something if you'd like? 

Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • JE466Q
    Options
    I get low rate mobility and have two daughter on dla low rate mobility and middle rate car
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,379 Scope online community team
    Options

Thanks @JE466Q, I appreciate the swift reply.

Ok, so I've found this which may be helpful?  Also Disability Grants has some helpful information and talk you through the process.  Though most links I've found have said you need to be claiming high rate mobility.  But it's worth checking some of the links out. 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,712 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I suspect you would need to get high rate mobility and not low rate, if you get PIP and 2 daughters get DLA can't you afford driving lessons ?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• JE466Q
    Options
    Nope I’m struggling with food bill it’s costing me loads weekly and all my other bills I will have to start putting some away each month 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,712 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Or delay driving lessons until you can afford them after all if you pass your test buying and running a car isn't cheap

2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• JE466Q
    Options
    I already have a car just need to learn my kids av a lot of appointments 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,605 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I’m not aware of any grants to learn to drive other than motability. However, for this you need to either be a motability customer or expecting collection of a vehicle within the next 4 months. As you only have standard mobility then you won’t qualify unfortunately. 

Do you know anyone that can sit next to you to give you some lessons? Then once you get some experience maybe you can pay for some lessons. 

I have a friend that had her father sit next to her and with him she passed her driving test first time. No driving lessons were needed from any instructor. Her father isn’t a driving instructor either. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • JE466Q
    Options
    Thank you will ask my neighbor as she said she might be able to help
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,605 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Please remember that the person sitting next to you must have had a full driving licence for at least 3 years and be at least 21 years old and be qualified to drive that type of car. 

So if it’s a manual they must be qualified to drive it. Some people pass their test in an automatic so won’t be qualified for a manual. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/supervise-a-learner-driver
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • JE466Q
    Options

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.