My choices — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My choices

Options
EDW
EDW Community member Posts: 12 Listener
Hi. I was in an acute mental health ward for 12 weeks last autumn. I have schizophrenia and psychosis. I had an appointment with a careers advisor on Friday. I have chosen a career in animal care. I am waiting for a job centre interview in the next couple of weeks which is work focused. I'm really anxious as I need to study gcse maths and excel online. I also want to study a level 3 in animal care online which is 2 hours a week for 12 months. What do I say to the job centre advisor as I'm still.under the recovery team and I'm not able to work more than 16 hours without burning out.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,530 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 29
    Options
    Is it Universal Credit you're claiming? If so have you reported your health condition, supported by a fit note? This will then start the work capability assessment process off. (providing you're not earning more than 16xNMW/week, unless you're claiming either DLA/PIP or ADP https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-if-you-have-a-disability-or-health-condition-quick-guide/universal-credit-if-you-have-a-disability-or-health-condition
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 985 Pioneering
    edited January 29
    Options

Hi EDW, I think JCP will be pretty impressed that you're already taking steps to improve your job prospects and manage your MH. The initial appointment is likely to be an administrative exercise but you can ask how frequently you will be expected to attend work-focused interviews (WFI's).  

You can request additional support from them to write your CV and have reasonable adjustments put in place for your MH conditions. If you have a current 'fit note' (Med 3) then take it with you in case the agent can't find it on their system. 

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,364 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @EDW, welcome to the community. Looks like you're already getting some advice, but I just wanted to say hello and welcome :)

Your animal care course sounds so interesting, and as WhatThe says, it should come across well that you're studying and thinking about your next steps. I hope you get on okay at your appointment!
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • EDW
    EDW Community member Posts: 12 Listener
    Options
    Thankyou Rosie, I saw my mental health team support worker this afternoon, she is going to let the job centre know that volunteering part time is the way forward for me at the moment as i am still receiving recovery sessions under the team at the moment, ive found a 3 hour volunteer role local today animal orientated which if i get it will send me in the right direction career wise as i want to work with animal as a career change in the future. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.