If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Hi, my name is lisal! Neighbour has no food, what help is available?

Options
lisal
lisal Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited January 29 in Cost of living
I’m in Wilmslow and I’m concerned for my neighbor, she’s polished and always worked, she has recently been assigned universal credit, and for the last two weeks she’s had no food, by the time she’s paid her rent she has 20 pounds for the month, no one wants to help because she’s polish but she has lived here for 12 yrs, I’m trying to get her emergency help, ie food, but I’m struggling 
van anyone help me please, I would really appreciate it
lisa

Comments

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 3,290 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @lisal, welcome to the community. Sorry to hear your neighbour is struggling. 

Have you been in contact with the Trussell Trust? There might be a food bank nearby she could access, and they also have a telephone helpline that might be worth a try.

You don't always need a referral to use a food bank, but the Trussell Trust should be able to advise you or her on how to go about getting one should you need it. Scope also have a page about accessing food, so that might be worth reading through too.

I hope she's able to find some support soon. 
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,195 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Are you able to check that their UC claim is correct? If they have access to a journal then it will tell you on there what elements are included. If she has a liability to pay rent then her UC should include the housing element. Though if privately renting then there's often a shortfall of rent. 

If there's a shortfall of rent they can apply for a Discretionary housing payment. (DHP) from her local authority. It's not guaranteed and if awarded it's only paid for a short period of time before you have to reapply. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/claiming-discretionary-housing-payments/claiming-discretionary-housing-payments

please check that they are also claiming council tax reduction, this isn't part of UC and needs to be claimed from their local authority. 

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 1,292 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Hi lisal, your local authority can deliver one free emergency food parcel to your neighbour's doorstep upon request. They will check her UC claim and know she is on a low enough income to qualify.

Either her GP or jobcentre can issue a food voucher every three months, I believe, which allows a limited selection of food items plus household products from the council store, by appointment.   

Then there are independent community fridges/food banks which provide free food to take home but involve queuing to get in. Some churches provide free hot meals and refreshments once a week for anyone who turns up. Queuing again.  

Nationality isn't important since she's entitled to UC therefore entitled to help and support. Go with her if you can and ask people there about other places in the area.  

• gogigi
    gogigi Scope Member Posts: 20 Connected
    Options
    Some local councils have a page on their website all about accessing food so it has links to food banks and other things such as free food boxes donated from supermarkets. 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.