Moving Far with Disability — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Moving Far with Disability

Options
HayleyGeek
HayleyGeek Community member Posts: 12 Connected
Hey there. I live in Sussex currently. Long story short, I moved down here in late 2017 to be with someone. I fell ill, and disabled in early 2018. I know no-one here and he became my carer. We broke up beginning of December, as for the last couple years he only ever saw my illness. I am now on a homelessness register as I can't afford current property. 

My issue. I think it's best if I move back to my hometown in Northumberland. 400 miles away. There I have friends. I need to give one months notice. I want to know if anyone has moved that far with a disability? I do not drive, how do I go about packing up my house and then physically moving, as I can't do that myself?. What about transferring care needs (still awaiting a new assessment), social care, housing register application (still awaiting a new band tier)?. What about transferring benefits? (I'm on UC for low income, PIP enhanced and ESA support). 

Then there's actually seeing/viewing properties to move into?. I don't know how to tackle all of this. It's terrifying. I am fine to try private landlords and / or social housing, so I'll need a new application for that too. I have housing in communication with me with the local housing, but wanted the communities advice. Thanks. 
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,380 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes, I moved a considerable distance back in 2017. I was living with my daughter so she helped to pack most of the boxes. I paid for a man with a van for the actual move itself. You can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) from your current local authority for help with moving costs.https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/claiming-discretionary-housing-payments/claiming-discretionary-housing-payments

My elder daughter was living in the area I moved to so she was able to view properties on my behalf. Do you have someone you can trust that can do the same for you?

Do you have someone up North that can travel down to you to help you with the moving process itself? There are removal companies that can pack for you but at a cost and moving 300 miles away that isn't going to be cheap. A friend of my recently moved about the same distance and this cost her £1,500 and she packed everything herself. 

For somewhere to live, are you currently on the waiting list for social housing in Northumberland? As you don't currently live in the area then you may need a local connection to the area for them to add your name to the list. Unless you're living in social housing now and can transfer with another person. 

For privately renting, this isn't going to be easy because a lot of landlords will refuse DSS tenants. Those that accept may ask for a guarantor. 

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 968 Pioneering
    Options

Hayleigh, I'm pretty sure your past local connection qualifies you to add your name to both housing registers so good luck  

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,380 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    WhatThe said:

Hayleigh, I'm pretty sure your past local connection qualifies you to add your name to both housing registers so good luck  

That doesn't apply to all areas, mine included. The friend I mentioned above needed to move back to the area she lived in a few years ago. When she added her name to the housing list she succeeded based on local connection with her son that lives there. Having lived there in a social housing property previously didn't help her case. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.